Rice shampoo bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christijr2

Reaction score
Those look great! Besides Zing’s hint, I will also admit that I and many others start testing our soap right away.

I take one of the end cuts and try it out once per or so week during the cure period. That shows me how it changes over time, and also relieves some of that impatience. 😊
Hi!! I am totally new to all of this! I've only made melt and pour up to this point. However i want to make some rice shampoo bars because I'm having issues with my hair from medication. I've used rice water on my hair and it works however I really really want to make my own bars too see if they will help as much. Just using rice water I have to rinse etc etc . I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but do I just make rice water and add that into my lye solution? I have read some posts, but I'm not understanding them exactly. Can someone kind of give me a step by step? Thanks everyone!! 😊

Hi!! I am totally new to all of this! I've only made melt and pour up to this point. However i want to make some rice shampoo bars because I'm having issues with my hair from medication. I've used rice water on my hair and it works however I really really want to make my own bars too see if they will help as much. Just using rice water I have to rinse etc etc . I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but do I just make rice water and add that into my lye solution? I have read some posts, but I'm not understanding them exactly. Can someone kind of give me a step by step? Thanks everyone!! 😊
Hi and welcome. Shampoo bars are still on my bucket list so I'll stay tuned to the responses you get from the good experts on here.

You'll find that there are two distinct camps here: those who can use soap as a shampoo and those who use syndets (synthetic detergent based shampoo bars). Soap is the wrong pH for hair and needs to be "neutralized" (for lack of a better word) to balance the pH. Syndets are gentle and pH balanced for hair.

In case you hadn't guessed, I fall into the syndet category. I've been making and using,syndet shampoo bars for about four years and my hair and scalp are, in the words of my hairdresser, "extremely healthy". I, like others here, use the recipe from DIY Bath & Body on Etsy. The recipes are easy to customize ; for instance, I make a version for my husband, who has a very dry, itchy scalp.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/630...1dc43&ref=top_rated_narrowing_module_search-3

You'll find that there are two distinct camps here: those who can use soap as a shampoo and those who use syndets (synthetic detergent based shampoo bars). Soap is the wrong pH for hair and needs to be "neutralized" (for lack of a better word) to balance the pH. Syndets are gentle and pH balanced for hair.

In case you hadn't guessed, I fall into the syndet category. I've been making and using,syndet shampoo bars for about four years and my hair and scalp are, in the words of my hairdresser, "extremely healthy". I, like others here, use the recipe from DIY Bath & Body on Etsy. The recipes are easy to customize ; for instance, I make a version for my husband, who has a very dry, itchy scalp.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/630...1dc43&ref=top_rated_narrowing_module_search-3
Thank you so much!!
I went out there and looked and she has some awesome recipes I'm going to buy for sure! But i never saw anything about fermented rice water shampoo bar recipe? Did i miss it somehow? Sorry for so many questions!!!

Thank you so much!!
I went out there and looked and she has some awesome recipes I'm going to buy for sure! But i never saw anything about fermented rice water shampoo bar recipe? Did i miss it somehow? Sorry for so many questions!!!
Perhaps take a look at Marie from Humble Bee & Me shampoo Bar using "Rice starch/powder. 👍

Perhaps take a look at Marie from Humble Bee & Me shampoo Bar using "Rice starch/powder. 👍
The member you quoted hasn't been in since her post above in Dec 2022, so probably won't see your post to them.

Back