Rice milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeore2017

In Soapmaking Faierie
Reaction score
Hi,

I use 100% coconut oil , with 20% sf as a base for all my soap.
I've been wanting to use rice milk as the main additive. There seems to be two schools : one being to use the rice milk as water replacement or to blend rice milk with oils.
I've done the first one and it has been a living nightmare... as I soap at room temperature, i've let the lye+rice milk on the side for a couple of hours, and it turned into a pudding that I got trouble to mix with the oils afterwards, and i ended with unsaponified oils.

i'd like to try the second option next time - which is to mix rice milk with oils, and then have my lye water separately. My question is what would be the recommended ratio of rice milk to oils?

Thanks for any advice on this matter,

D.

You use the rice milk as a water replacement and you can mix it into your oils. Most of us would mix our lye 50/50 water/lye then use the rice milk for the remainder of water you will need. No matter how you use the rice milk it is water replacement nothing else

I use milk as the entire water replacement (I really do 50/50 and add powdered to make it full coconut, goats, buttermilk). I wouldn't leave my lye/milk sit for a long time as it will start to saponify. If want to mix the lye with water you need at least 1:1 water/lye. Then just add the rest to your oils and stickblend. Then add your lye mixture to the mix.

Back