Quantcast

Rice bran

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

SimplyE

Reaction score
How many of you use it on a regular basis? I was under the impression that it tends to go rancid sooner than others. I have some, but have not used a lot of it yet and haven't learned the benefits of this oil.

Thanks!

Deda

Reaction score
I love ricebran oil. It's very stable and slow to turn rancid. I think the shelf life is a year. Check with manufacturer? I get mine in a cube box from Columbus foods. It's in every bar I make, except salt soap.

SimplyE

Reaction score
Mine also came from Columbus foods, but is in a jug. Is there a specific reason why you use and love it?

I keep trying to formulate recipes for a good base and would love to use RB, but just have not used much of it. I must say, though...I do know what I don't like! :D

Deda

Reaction score
Hmm, antioxidants, no slime, like OO, great creamy lather and it's super gentle. And in my main formula it makes a very hard bar. No DOS.

I rarely ever use Avocado, Shea or Cocoa butter in soap. Too expensive and when I do use it I will honestly admit that it is more for label appeal.

I subbed out most of my olive oil with RBO and don't notice a difference at all. I love the feel. There is no smell, and NO COLOR at all.

SimplyE

Reaction score
Thanks! I keep trying to come up with a formula to make a hard bar with it because everything that I have read/learned sounds good! Especially with my tempermental skin!

I will keep plugging numbers...my other addiction, playing with the calc! :wink:

Deda

Reaction score
SimplyE said:
Thanks! I keep trying to come up with a formula to make a hard bar with it because everything that I have read/learned sounds good! Especially with my tempermental skin!

I will keep plugging numbers...my other addiction, playing with the calc! :wink:
Have you tried soapmaker? I just began using that. I so so so love it.

The 'benchmarks' are a little more true - in my opinion - than the numbers in soapcalc.

SimplyE

Reaction score
Thanks. I keep meaning to do that, but have not yet. Ho hum! I will down load it now. I keep wondering if they are better benchmarks!

I am trying to come up with a recipe that I like, but really want to keep the amount of oils down. It seems that it is easy to get carried away with adding oils. I can't seem to do better than five. :D

ETA: Do you know if you can use the same soapmaker on two computers or do you have to buy it twice? I have my desktop and my laptop.

Deda

Reaction score
SimplyE said:
ETA: Do you know if you can use the same soapmaker on two computers or do you have to buy it twice? I have my desktop and my laptop.
I don't know. I was going to ask before I am finished with the trial period. I really like it, AND I can save my recipes and make adjustments for prices.

I sure hope so, because I will install and work/create on my office computer upstairs, but I print and make notes from the laptop in the soap kitchen. I just access the files via network. I suppose the worst case would be buying it twice.

Let me know if you find an answer.

SimplyE

Reaction score
K-I downloaded soapmaker, but I don't see where the oil/soap quality includes cleansing. Of course, this is my first looksy, and I really am supposed to be working :lol:

Deda

Reaction score
Im pretty sure that soapmaker doesn't measure cleansing the same way soapcalc does.

I've only been using it for a short time, but I don't see it as a problem. The cleansing number on soapcalc is in direct relation to the amount of lauric and/or myristic acid in your recipe. As long as you keep your oils that are high in these fatty acids to a reasonable level - like 35%, or you are doing a substantial superfat your recipe should be good.

I only know of a few oils that are high in lauric and myristic acid - coconut, palm kernal & monoi de tahiti.

Latest posts