Rice Bran Wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaSuds

Reaction score
I was looking to order rice bran wax as an ingredient for lotion bars when I noticed that one seller
(Aromantic in the UK) also states that this wax can be used as an alternative to palm oil. It's Sap Value is: 86.3 KoH 75-120 (mg/KOH/g) and it is high in palmitic acid with a recommended use of 1 - 10% in CP soap. I have only found a short inconclusive discussion about this on here so far. Has anyone used rice bran wax as a palm oil alternative and how would I enter this in soap calc? It is very expensive though. Many Thanks

I'm also looking at the wax for lotion bars, but never heard of it being a palm oil substitute! How interesting - I hope someone with some experience with this replies (and I'm so sorry if getting a notification of this reply got your hopes up! :D)

Hi Noodge, have you found a UK supplier for rice bran wax apart from Aromantics? It's quite pricey there. Do you subscribe to Swift Crafty Monkey? She has lotion bar recipes using this wax but I haven't tried them yet;)

Hi Noodge, have you found a UK supplier for rice bran wax apart from Aromantics? It's quite pricey there. Do you subscribe to Swift Crafty Monkey? She has lotion bar recipes using this wax but I haven't tried them yet;)

I only ever looked on amazon/eBay, but had bought Candelilla wax just before that, so I'm waiting to use it all up before buying anything else!

And I don't I'm afraid, one day I will though, I've heard great things about it!

Thanks for posting the sap value coz I've been looking and didn't find it.

I'm also waiting for my order to arrive. It's for my vegan lotion bars as well but I was also wondering if it would work in soap, like how others like soy wax in theirs.

I have only one supplier so far here, and the cost is only slightly more expensive than beeswax but cheaper than candelilla or carnauba (hence the choice to try it and not the others lol) and even soy wax 444.

I think the easiest way to use it in the calculator is to sub another fat with a very similar sap value. That way there's not too much math haha.

I think the easiest way to use it in the calculator is to sub another fat with a very similar sap value. That way there's not too much math haha.

That's a good idea 'cos I am afraid of maths! If it helps here is their info on using it as a palm oil replacement:
"Rice Bran Wax is high in palmitic acid and is sometimes used in place of palm oil as it makes a harder, longer lasting bar when incorporated in a cold process soap formula (up to 10%). When used in a balm or oil gel, it has the ability to prevent syneresis or droplets of liquid forming on the top of the product."

Would love to hear how it works in your lotion bars...it's too pricey for me right now:(

Hi Noodge, have you found a UK supplier for rice bran wax apart from Aromantics?
I just found this thread from a google search, on wither or not you can use rice bran wax in soap.

The rice bran wax in Aromatics is £8.10 for 100g, and its been winterised, and is white in colour. They also sell it at Makers Ingredients UK, and is £11.88 for 250g, but hasn't been winterised, so its naturally yellow in colour. Its a few pounds more for a larger amount than Aromatics, and if you were to buy 500g from either shop, makers ingredients works out £10 cheaper.

Back