Rice bran oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to use RBO, OO, coconut oil and shea butter, would this be ok for my first batch? I'm yet to understand the soap calcs will do a tutorial on it this weekend. But I don't want to use Palm Oil and I want to keep it vegan....would love some ideas xx

Welcome to the forum and the addiction adventure! Here's a good guide that addresses various oils and recommended percentages in your recipe: Free Beginner's Guide to Soapmaking: Common Soapmaking Oils - Soap Queen . I was intimidated by soapcalc for forever but quickly got the hang of it. You can play around with your percentages and see what properties you get.

I shoot for 60:40 hard oils:soft oils. Olive oil is weird because it's liquid but makes a hard bar after a long cure. I use 5% shea but others do way more -- I find the lather too lotion-y but my wife loves it. Daddy loves his bubbles. I use coconut in the 20-25% range -- more than that it can make for a soggy, soft, short-lived soap. And RBO is great on my skin.

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back