Rice Bran Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks fo sharing :) I was so sad when Lowes stopped carrying Riceland Turkey Fry Oil. After thanksgiving it would go on sale and I would stock up on boxes like this for US$10 each.

I personally hate OO in soap. But then I really do not use much RBO but do prefer the feel of it over OO. To me, an OO soap always feels sticky, slimy, does not rinse off nice and no matter how little is used I always know it is in there. But that is me and just my opinion. I prefer Tallow, Lard, Palm, HO Sunflower, HO Canola, Avocado.

You can buy a box of six-one gallon bottles directly from Riceland for $45.65 plus shipping.
Thanks o much for sharing! They don't ship to Canada (or at least they didn't when I asked a year or so ago). Maybe I will check in again.

I’m curious what people’s opinions are on RBO as compared to OO in soap. The Kirkland OO is about the same price. Do you prefer one over the other and why?
It's rich in vitamin E and antioxidants and I really like using it in soap. I like to balance it out with other liquid oils including olive oil.

It's rich in vitamin E and antioxidants and I really like using it in soap. I like to balance it out with other liquid oils including olive oil.

I did buy some about a month ago and used it in a couple batches but they aren’t cured yet so I haven’t been able to compare, but I’m looking forward to trying them in a couple weeks! The only thing I didn’t like is that the expiration date on the gallon jug I bought, which was Riceland, was only 6 months from when I received it which I wasn’t happy about. Is that normal or was this most likely sitting around a warehouse for a while?

The fatty acid profile of rice bran oil is quite different from olive oil. It has 1.5x the palmitic and almost 3x the linoleic compared with OO. The oleic content of RBO is very close to tallow and lower than lard. I use it to add creaminess, hardness and longevity from the palmitic & stearic and to adjust the linoleic (up to 15% in a recipe) for a silky and bubbly lather. Here’s a comparison of olive oil, rice bran oil, lard and tallow in that order:

.................OO..RBO.lard.tallow
palmitic:....14....22....38....28
stearic:........3......3....13....22
oleic:..........69....38....48....36
linoleic:.......12....34.....6......3

eta: the RBO I buy from Riceland seems to discolor my soap to a light yellowish tan, whereas with OO I usually get a whiter soap.

Last edited:
I personally hate OO in soap. But then I really do not use much RBO but do prefer the feel of it over OO. To me, an OO soap always feels sticky, slimy, does not rinse off nice and no matter how little is used I always know it is in there. But that is me and just my opinion. I prefer Tallow, Lard, Palm, HO Sunflower, HO Canola, Avocado.

I have decided I LOVE lard in soap as the highest percentage but I do also use OO but thinking of RBO as a sub for the OO if it makes a nicer bar. But like I mentioned in another comment, the expiration date on the one I bought was only six months from when I received it So was wondering about the shelf life and how it compares to OO in that regard.

The high linoleic content likely contributes to a shorter shelf life. I just checked the oil I bought in Feb. and can’t find an expiration date on the jug or the box. Many on the forum use RBO at moderate to fairly high concentrations and are not reporting problems with DOS. When I first started using RBO regularly last fall, I had already started using citric acid or edta, and ROE. I have not seen any DOS in those soaps. I keep my linoleic + linolenic at 15% or less.

The high linoleic content likely contributes to a shorter shelf life. I just checked the oil I bought in Feb. and can’t find an expiration date on the jug or the box. Many on the forum use RBO at moderate to fairly high concentrations and are not reporting problems with DOS. When I first started using RBO regularly last fall, I had already started using citric acid or edta, and ROE. I have not seen any DOS in those soaps. I keep my linoleic + linolenic at 15% or less.

Thank you. Do you add the ROE to the bottle when you receive it or to each batch as it’s made? (Or can you do both)

The fatty acid profile of rice bran oil is quite different from olive oil. It has 1.5x the palmitic and almost 3x the linoleic compared with OO. The oleic content of RBO is very close to tallow and lower than lard. I use it to add creaminess, hardness and longevity from the palmitic & stearic and to adjust the linoleic (up to 15% in a recipe) for a silky and bubbly lather. Here’s a comparison of olive oil, rice bran oil, lard and tallow in that order:

.................OO..RBO.lard.tallow
palmitic:....14....22....38....28
stearic:........3......3....13....22
oleic:..........69....38....48....36
linoleic:.......12....34.....6......3

eta: the RBO I buy from Riceland seems to discolor my soap to a light yellowish tan, whereas with OO I usually get a whiter soap.

Yes, my Riceland oil is quite dark.

Do you buy the regular cooking oil from Riceland or one of the "Fry" oils? I buy the regular cooking oil in gallons and my oil does not seem dark to me. I haven't noticed it discoloring my soap either.

I personally hate OO in soap.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the water in your location? I would love to try rice bran oil but only if I can buy it locally (here in México) Navigating the mexican web sites, not so easy. So, I would be lost without OO that I get at Costco.

Do you buy the regular cooking oil from Riceland or one of the "Fry" oils? I buy the regular cooking oil in gallons and my oil does not seem dark to me. I haven't noticed it discoloring my soap either.

I got the one gallon in the white jug. It’s Riceland brand. Bought it on Amazon. It’s not super dark but deeper color than the Kirkland OO. And looking down into the jug since it’s opaque I guess it appears darker than when it’s poured out.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the water in your location? I would love to try rice bran oil but only if I can buy it locally (here in México) Navigating the mexican web sites, not so easy. So, I would be lost without OO that I get at Costco.
No, it is not the water I just dislike OO, but that is my opinion and it certainly is not the opinion of the majority so if I were you I would stick with OO since I know you have Costco's in Mexico. Some of our Business Costco's carry High Oleic Canola but I do not know if you have Business Costco's where you live or if it is available where you live. For many years I used regular Canola and Regular Sunflower up to 15% with a combination of lard and tallow with no problems. I also mixed in OO if I wanted a higher percent of liquid oil, this cut the OO for me. Tallow I use in the 40% range and lard approx 23%. for a very creamy bar. Lard has always given me DOS issues in higher percentages.

I’m curious what people’s opinions are on RBO as compared to OO in soap. The Kirkland OO is about the same price. Do you prefer one over the other and why?
I used OO at low percentage (30% or less, exception with Castile of course) so I never experienced the slimy factor noted with OO soap. I did recently make Royalty Soap recipe which is 40% OO and that soap I really noticed a sliminess. It's nice soap and rinses well in my water, but using the bar feels more slippery. I switched to RBO about 2 years ago and can't tell the difference. Only change was cost.

Tallow I use in the 40% range and l
thanks for this, I am just starting with tallow and no clue how much to use, I have been trying it at 25-30%. In all my years with OO, Coconut & palm +, I have never experienced DOS and It would be great not to start now! Will use that as a guideline for the upper limit. Since I am rendering my own from fat I get locally for free, more tallow means less olive or coconut so less cost.

Thank you. Do you add the ROE to the bottle when you receive it or to each batch as it’s made? (Or can you do both)
I’m still adding the ROE batch by batch, but it would be easier to add it to the larger container. I have enough room to store my oils in a frig so I haven’t had to worry much about them degrading before I use them.

If you wouldn’t mind posting the link to the specific RBO you buy, I would be most appreciative. I‘ve been buying the 3 gal. Turkey Fry Oil. It’s quite cloudy at room temp (70-72F) and I also think it has a tendency to separate a bit into heavier and lighter fractions. I posted this pic recently on another thread. I had shaken the oil, but there are still wisps of something swirled through the oil if you look closely:

63DCFEFC-B01A-4D59-8832-238647684E9E.jpeg

Back