Rice Bran oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do I REALLY have to add vitamin E oil to a batch of soap if I use rice bran oil? I was just told this the other day and now that puts a damper on my weekend fun.

No, you do not have to.

If you are using a high amount it could help prevent rancidity and dreaded orange spots. But there are many reasons soap goes rancid, so it will not prevent it 100%.

Not to mention Vitamin E might work fine as an antioxidant in lotions, etc. but it apparently is not effective at preventing DOS in soap. You're better off, if you're going to use an antioxidant, to use rosemary oleoresin (ROE).

How much rice bran are you using? I shouldn't think you'd have to worry about DOS if you kept it at a reasonable % in your formula.

IrishLass:)

I routinely use rice bran oil in my soaps (topping out at 10-15% or so, sometimes less) and have never had DOS in them. I would suspect that you'd be pretty safe using RBO at 5-15% without having to worry that it would contribute to DOS.

I agree with RBO at 15% to 20% of the fats -- that's what I've used in the past.

I was researching the use of Vitamin E in soap today for a completely different reason than this thread, so that's why I answered what I did earlier.

How much rice bran are you using? I shouldn't think you'd have to worry about DOS if you kept it at a reasonable % in your formula.

IrishLass:)

I'm not using it yet. I wanted to try it out since I read you can use it in place of some Olive oil in soaps. Now that I know that I don't have to buy vitamin E oil, I won't worry my head over it yet.

Thank you everyone for the info. :thumbup::)

Probably a closer substitute for olive is high oleic safflower or HO sunflower, if either of these is available in your area. They don't have the high linolenic content that RBO does.

Back