Rice Bran oil plus...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dahlia,
I don't have a rash. I am not very well and have inflammation of the lungs thru no know cause (done every test under the sun). They are thinking the salicylates may be the cause. Salicylates are easily transferred transdermally (dencorub etc work well!) and the heat of a shower encourages it even more. Also some soap stays on your skin.

So I am trying no salicylate soaps as well as everything else.

You can add Vit E or Rosemary Oleoresin Extract along with the rice bran oil to prevent DOS. I use Riceland rice bran oil in a lot of my soap along with a little Vit E. I haven't experienced any problem with DOS.

Lsg

I can't use Rosemary but could use vit E. Do you get that from a chemist? Are there different grades? It sounds perfect for me to use with RBO. I really want to avoid the DOS I have been reading about : ))

Thank you.

i have been using 25% Rice bran in my main recipe for over a year now and no signs of DOS at all. I dont put any vit E or ROE in it at all. But I do have a dehumidifier in my back room where the soaps live. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Here is what the Herbarie has to say about Rice Bran oil:

"Rice Bran Oil is excellent for use in skin care. It is stable to oxidation and contains Vitamin-E group anti-oxidants such as Tocopherol, and Tocotrienol. Rice Bran Oil has only recently become popular in the US, but it has been used traditionally in Japan and other countries. The oil has a lovely feel in formulations."

Source: http://www.theherbarie.com/Rice-Bran-Oil.html

Thank you very much for those great links and the % help.

I will stop being a control freak and just have a go at a few different recipes! I will let you know how they go in about 8 weeks. : )

I'm another one that's used rice bran oil at the 20-25% range without any DOS problems. I tend to stay around 10% max for butters but understand why you might want to add more for a harder bar. You could try beeswax but don't go crazy with it. It can also be a lather killer like butters and difficult to incorporate unless you soap pretty hot. I would highly recommend trying to get your hands on some locally rendered lard or tallow without the additives. Also try adding some sodium lactate to your cooled lye water (1tsp ppo) . . . it should produce a harder bar if you are limited to high amounts of liquid oils.

What about this one. It's going to be very creamy for sure with not a lot of bubbles. It may also trace fast with that much cocoa butter so be ready. Don't worry about the numbers on Soapcalc. Just make a small batch and see what it's like. If it's too soft or hard just adjust the oils accordingly.

35% RBO
20% sunflower
20% canola
15% shea butter
10% cocoa butter

5% superfat

i have been using 25% Rice bran in my main recipe for over a year now and no signs of DOS at all. I dont put any vit E or ROE in it at all. But I do have a dehumidifier in my back room where the soaps live. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Hi dillsandwitch. Do you find that RBO makes your batter trace very fast?

Hi dillsandwitch. Do you find that RBO makes your batter trace very fast?

I haven't noticed any faster trace than when I use olive oil instead of Ricebran (other ingredients the same) I have been using 33% lye concentration and I soap fairly coolish (I havent ever gotten out the temp gun to check exact temps) and I still have plenty of time to do five colour swirl as long as the FO is one that behaves itself. Hope that makes sense.

Make sure to use Vit E with sunflower oil unless it is high oleic sunflower oil. I have a problem with canola and DOS, so definitely use Vit E or rosemary oleoresin extract with this recipe.

Make sure to use Vit E with sunflower oil unless it is high oleic sunflower oil. I have a problem with canola and DOS, so definitely use Vit E or rosemary oleoresin extract with this recipe.

Should I be adding the ROE as the fragrance % or as part of the weight of the oil or just extra weight?
I am already at 5% SF.

In the amounts needed, ROE is a tiny, tiny portion of the entire recipe, so I treat it as an additive -- not part of the oils (it doesn't saponify) and not part of the fragrance (you won't smell it in soap). The dosage range is 0.2 to 1.0 g ROE for every 1000 g oils (0.02% to 0.1% ppo).

I usually add ROE at 1.0 g per 1000 g oils to the oil in the jug. That way the ROE protects the oil in storage as well as in my soap, but you can add it instead to your oils right when you soap.

I get my lard from one of the farmers market meat vendors. He doesn't advertise, but if you ask, he's got it. Just discovered that I can get tallow from another one.

The thing for me and my food intolerances is that I have to know what's in an oil or fat. Cold pressed low salicylate oils are fine. Chemically treated or heat treated are not.

Most lard etc is heat treated and hydrogenated - a definite no no for me.

It's difficult but I think I'm best sticking with the few cold pressed oils that I know are "safe" for me if I want to avoid side effects of naturally occurring salicylates. I am not idealogically opposed to animal fats.

Naturally made lard and tallow are not heat treated nor chemically treated. The fat from the cow or pig is warmed at low temperatures (180) to melt, then the melted oil is poured off. That's it. The lard or tallow sets up and keeps for a long time. I love grass fed beef tallow. Makes awesome soap!

Last edited:
Naturally made lard and tallow are not heat treated nor chemically treated. The fat from the cow or pig is warmed at low temperatures (180) to melt, then the melted oil is poured off. That's it. The lard or tallow sets up and keeps for a long time. I love grass fed beef tallow. Makes awesome soap![

Hello and welcome. This post is over 3 years old. Please don’t pull up old threads, or considered necroposting. Listed in the stickies. Feel free to star a new post and link to old posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back