Rhubarb soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Made another batch of goat milk soap today but this time, I added some rhubarb root for color.
I chopped up my fresh root, added a couple small pieces to the lye water and the rest to my warm milk. After steeping for awhile, I strained both liquids and made my soap.

Milk after straining root chunks out, you can see that there is two layers, the stuff on the bottom was a weird gel substance, maybe fiber from the roots?
vpuqs3.jpg

milk blended into oils
15gqfl4.jpg

batter after adding lye, should have taken a picture of the lye solution. It was quite dark peachy.
2d0nakx.jpg

In the mold
24440uq.jpg

separated a bit to blend thicker for this mold, weirdly its a lighter color. Maybe from being cooler?
jkeesl.jpg

Hoping that the darker peachy/orangy color is just from the milk heating up and it will lighten as it saponifies.

It already lightening some but it's still a fleshy peach color. I will try again, especially since I didn't use the rhubarb root like I was told too. It should have been boiled then the resulting tea added in at trace, I won't use milk next time either, I'm sure thats adding a bit of yellow to the over all color.

Keep in mind if you do try rhubarb, you don't want the stems sold at the grocery store, you use the ugly woody roots. I was lucky enough my mom has a huge patch that needed thinning. I'm going to slice what I have left and toss it in the dehydrator.

Your pink is much better then mine. The loaf I made gelled and darkened, it looks like nasty flesh. The little bunny didn't gel and stay a very light pink, its nice but not as colorful as I was hoping for.
Tried again today with a tea added at trace. It looks like it will be a better color but still not quite what I was hoping for. I'll post pics tomorrow after todays soap comes out of the molds.

Those peach and pink shades are wonderful! nframe, did the color of your soap darken with time or did it stay like what it looks like in your picture?

Latest posts

Back