Reusable mold liners

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, just finished making two one pound molds with liners, following the video linked above. I don’t have a glue stick so the silicone sides are floppy but I’ll go to the dollar store tomorrow. These are just cardboard gift boxes but I liked the size for making trial batches. 0B5BA4B8-8312-4E77-A194-19D27164905F.jpeg9AF47B72-C16F-4E75-B264-2B6104DC0902.jpeg

I have used plastic filing folders (accordion type) and also plastic cutting boards to make reusable liners. If you could find something similar it could work. In this blogpost I included video links that might give you a feel for the material (they are in the stiffer side):
Wait a minute... you’re Glenda? That Glenda? Starstruck... 🤩 I love your videos and your beautiful soap.

I have never been this flattered before! thank you!
I do love your videos - I made your pine divider tree soap to make a ponderosa pine soap for my husband after endless frustration trying to make feather swirl tree soap. I was so pleased with the results and I appreciated the way you shared all your lessons learned. I had success and the soap is really lovely. Ponderosa pine bark smells like vanilla when it is warm so I scented it with vanilla FO, so of course it all turned a sepia color. The discoloration sent me down the rabbit hole of color stabilizers. Always something new to learn.

I do love your videos - I made your pine divider tree soap to make a ponderosa pine soap for my husband after endless frustration trying to make feather swirl tree soap. I was so pleased with the results and I appreciated the way you shared all your lessons learned. I had success and the soap is really lovely. Ponderosa pine bark smells like vanilla when it is warm so I scented it with vanilla FO, so of course it all turned a sepia color. The discoloration sent me down the rabbit hole of color stabilizers. Always something new to learn.
I agree with the endless frustration on feather swirl soaps, I had to give up on that technique because I lacked the patience to pour each layer! So glad that the pine tree TP divider worked! too bad about the discoloration, but they do get an antique look when they discolor. We have a thread here about a DIY vanilla stabilizer, perhaps you have seen it already? If you search for VCS it should come up, it is a cheaper alternative to the ones from vendors. I bet your soap smelled wonderful though!

I agree with the endless frustration on feather swirl soaps, I had to give up on that technique because I lacked the patience to pour each layer! So glad that the pine tree TP divider worked! too bad about the discoloration, but they do get an antique look when they discolor. We have a thread here about a DIY vanilla stabilizer, perhaps you have seen it already? If you search for VCS it should come up, it is a cheaper alternative to the ones from vendors. I bet your soap smelled wonderful though!
Yes it does smell great - and yes I bought the two chemicals to make the VCS (ZCS) - just haven’t gotten to it! And I kind of like the sepia tones. 😊

Made some mold liners out of PTFE oven liners as recommended by AliOop, worked perfectly, no leaks and re-useable! Never going back to cutting grease proof paper linings again :)
Glad you tried it and liked it. I am the same - never going back again to freezer paper!

Here is a pic of my molds with the liners. The new liner material was still fairly curly at the time I made these, so I had to tape them in place. Now that the material has relaxed, little to no tape is needed. Just prop them up inside the mold, and the weight of the soap holds them in.

IMG_1108.JPG

Glad you tried it and liked it. I am the same - never going back again to freezer paper!

Here is a pic of my molds with the liners. The new liner material was still fairly curly at the time I made these, so I had to tape them in place. Now that the material has relaxed, little to no tape is needed. Just prop them up inside the mold, and the weight of the soap holds them in.

View attachment 53486
This is brilliant!!!!

@The Park Bench Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. I bought a used slab mold awhile back, made by For Craft's Sake, and it came with those liners. From then on, I have made these for any mold of mine without a silicone liner.

I honestly don't know why more soapers don't use that stuff instead of freezer paper. One roll of oven liner is not much more than a roll of freezer paper, plus there's no waste... and no swearing or losing one's religion trying to fold that @#$%! paper! 😂

Back