Return of the potato water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainycityjen

Reaction score
I had a big batch of herb infused OO sitting around waiting for my lazy butt to do a castile. Then I was making some mashed potatoes and remembered a thread on SMF about using potato water for liquid dish soap. I looked but couldn't find any "after" photos of a potato-water-for-water bar, so I decided to give a "castato" soap a shot!

The lye discolored to a buttery yellow and the bar itself is a yellow-ivory color 24 hours into cure. Will let you all know if my young testers produce any more suds than a regular fresh castile.

BTW, WSP Blood Orange and Goji is so nice!

I've used potato in CP a couple times. The lye water always turns yellowy and the color seems to stay in the soap. I though it increased lather some, will be interesting to hear how it does in castile.

I steam potatoes instead of boiling them, but the water in the pot still turns yellow/brown, usually. I wonder if it has any of the same properties as actual potato water?

Yup Guspuppy - I don't think I could cook anymore without my pressure cooker. That's the only way I make potatoes now. You can hear them hissing - liquid is boiling inside....

Could you use potato starch as an additive in the water for the same effect? Would it even dissolve? I saw some at the grocery store the other day when I was buying tapioca flour and wondered what people do with it.

Back