Quantcast

Resurrecting "zombie" / Necro threads? What is the best option?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

RogueRose

Reaction score
I sometimes find threads that are 2-4 years old and I have a similar question to that which was posed in the old thread.

some boards will give embers a hard time if the thread is over a year old (heck I've sen 6-9 months is pushing it on some sites...)

An example is asking if members use citrus peels in soaps. there is a similar thread, but not really the exact question (another poster brought it up in the original old thread).

Should I start my own new thread asking what members do?

It seems like a catch 22 b/c some members will say "UTFSE" or something like that..

What are the board guidelines for this?

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If it has been dead for a while but you have a question that actually brings it forward, ask away. Unless it has been handled anew since then. Necro is only bad form when it is to answer a question in a long dead post or in any other way not add anything to the conversation, such as when there is a more recent thread on the subject that would be better to use instead.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
IMO, start a new thread. Because a lot of folks will read the first post and respond to that, rather than your question buried in the thread. So in order for you to get more useful information targeted at your specific question, a new thread would be better. You can always post a link to that thread, or copy and paste a post from the thread.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I'd rather see a new thread. If its a older thread I'v seen before, I won't bother to go see why its been resurrected unless it something like the shampoo bar or shaving thread.
Dixie has a great point too, most people are going to answer the OP questions, not look at the last page comments.

amd

Reaction score
I think adding to an old thread is fine... Especially considering how often newbies are told to go look at old threads or search the forum. Which one do you want us to do?

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, too, will ignore old thread titles in the list. I would rather see a new thread started. It catches my attention. If I know of a more recent thread that covers the answer, I will link it.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hrm. I always use the New Posts link, or the Unread option in the phone app. I went thru and marked all the forums read when I started, so that way I had a clean slate. I browse thru several times a day to keep it all clear. SO half the time I do not notice then it is an old thread until I see someone answer an old post I have not read before.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm another one for starting a new thread. Especially when chances are pretty good that many of the participants are no longer here.

galaxyMLP

SPONSOR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would start a new thread but, if its similar enough to your topic, link to the old thread as some others have said. That shows people that you've researched the topic but, found it doesn't quite answer you question or that you want new opinions if its truly old.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm on the 'please start a new thread' bandwagon and give a link to the old one. I can't count how many times I've gotten my hopes up when I've seen a thread pop up on the front page started by a long-lost member, only to have them dashed when I click on it and realize the thread ceased being active 2 years ago and the OP is still gone. Grrr!

I also agree with what Dixie said about how most people opening up the old, inactive thread probably don't know how old the thread is and may be more apt to respond to the OP's original question rather than respond to the newer question buried further in.

Of course, there are older but long ongoing threads that are exceptions, such as those pointed out by Obsidian: Genny's Shampoo Bar thread for one, and some of the shaving threads, as well a few of the liquid soap-making threads, but I think their sheer length and continuing/ongoing nature is a good sign that it would be fine to post a question there, as long as it's on-topic.

If one is ever in doubt, though, starting a new thread and giving a link to the old one is never a bad idea, if you ask me. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ah okay - I usually just click on the little blue and white buttons next to last post date of the thread to go to the next unread post, so on a necro post I skip by all of the old stuff. In that case, start a new one

Latest posts