Resizing Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlotteda

Reaction score
I am embarrassed to admit this but I must be having a senior day - or week. I can't seem to resize my recipe to fit a small loaf mold. I had been making this goatmilk and honey - lye soap in larger handmade double pours. Now I want to tweak the recipe down to fit this mold and my brain just won't go there. Any suggestions? I don't know what's wrong with me - I have the double sized recipe in soap calc that I have used for year but I just can't seem to adjust.

Attachments

• Screenshot (199).png
    Screenshot (199).png
    687.3 KB · Views: 0
I use soap calc, and what you do is this:

Pull up the recipe in soapcalc and make sure it's set to percentages:
1660074102846.png

Just change the total weight of oils in the upper left corner to whatever unit you use and hit "Calculate."
Now if your question is how much oil for a mold that size, since it sounds like it holds 42 oz total and not 42 oz of oil, depending on your lye/water ratio, you can work backwards. I do my water and lye at 2:1, so generally for 42 oz, of uncured soap it comes out to about 29 oz of oil. It depends on your oils of course, but I find that my batches are generally about 67-70% oils and the rest liquid.

Back