Rescue of the day

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was walking my dogs this morning and my neighbor waved me down. She had hummingbird on the ground in her driveway. It was cold and wet and unresponsive. So I brought him home and stuck him in my cleavage to warm him up. When I felt him start stirring I tucked him into a tissue nest and started feeding him a little nectar at a time. Every 15 min he got a meal. He's finally recovered enough to fly up on my finger while I was feeding him.

Attachments

• 20210319_182920.jpg
    20210319_182920.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 36
So I was walking my dogs this morning and my neighbor waved me down. She had hummingbird on the ground in her driveway. It was cold and wet and unresponsive. So I brought him home and stuck him in my cleavage to warm him up. When I felt him start stirring I tucked him into a tissue nest and started feeding him a little nectar at a time. Every 15 min he got a meal. He's finally recovered enough to fly up on my finger while I was feeding him.

How is this sweet little bird? Was he able to fully recover?

You are the best!

So Buzzer is doing even better. His right eye is swollen still but his balance is better and he's taken a few test flights. He's had breakfast, 2nd breakfast, 3rd breakfast and lunch 1 and 2. I wiped him down with a damp q-tip and he decided to do some preening. He's pooped and peed on me so everything seems to be working. Hoping he's better by Monday so he can be released.

Attachments

• 20210320_092050.jpg
    20210320_092050.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210320_092043.jpg
    20210320_092043.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 21
What a lucky little fella he is and beauty. You have done a good job and our cleavage comes in quite handy at times. :nodding:
I've warmed many a baby animal in my cleavage. It's the best way to warm up cold critters.

He's now taking more flights across the room and has figured out how to drink from the syringe by himself now. I also bought some flightless fruit flies to add to his nectar so as to keep his protein levels up. He's getting to be quite cheeky. He chitters and chatters at me if I don't feed him right away. I've put some terramycin antibiotic on his eye to hopefully help. I'm pretty sure he hit my neighbor's picture window and knocked himself silly. But both wings are working and both feet are working so he's able to perch on his own without falling over. I'm hoping his eye is ok and heals up so he can still see out of it.

So Buzzer is doing even better. His right eye is swollen still but his balance is better and he's taken a few test flights. He's had breakfast, 2nd breakfast, 3rd breakfast and lunch 1 and 2. I wiped him down with a damp q-tip and he decided to do some preening. He's pooped and peed on me so everything seems to be working. Hoping he's better by Monday so he can be released.
Awww your the best' 🥰🐦. I think your gonna have a little hummingbird Feather-Baby flying around outside your window for life. Such A Beautiful Story, Please Keep Us Updated. 🐦💫🤗.

So Buzzer is much better, flying more, eating from the feeder and has eaten about 10 fruit flies. I stick then to his beak with sugar water and he kicks them off. My finger is really too big so we found another use for chopsticks, perfect perches. He's now flying from his perch to the feeder on his own. Unfortunately his eye is still swollen shut. I'm going to call around tomorrow for some rehab places and see if they can take a look at it. A one eyed hummingbird won't get along very well in the wild so he may end up having to go to a sanctuary. Still I'm quite happy that he's recovered so well and so quickly. If it wasn't for that eye I'm sure he'd be back in two top shape to take in the world.

Attachments

• 20210321_113655.jpg
    20210321_113655.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210321_113608.jpg
    20210321_113608.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 14
How lovely!
I would imagine an eye infection might have made him more likely to fly into a window and knock himself out, or did it appear after you took him in?
A sanctuary isn't a bad outcome, if that's what is needed.

How lovely!
I would imagine an eye infection might have made him more likely to fly into a window and knock himself out, or did it appear after you took him in?
A sanctuary isn't a bad outcome, if that's what is needed.
I don't know if the eye was injured before the window as I only found him on the ground stunned and in torpor. His eye already looked like that. I took him over to the wildlife rehab but they couldn't take him as they weren't taking in any new animals and the other place that might have taken him was closed and it's over an hour away. The vet at the wildlife place gave me some drops for his eye and said to treat it for 5 days and keep doing what I'm doing. He's much more active now and wants to fly around my room constantly but I've been discouraging that because I don't want him to get stuck somewhere when I'm not watching. Also he keeps running into the cobwebs in the corners and I've had to wash him off several times with a q-tip dipped in water. The cobwebs aren't good for his feet and wing feathers. So now he's in his box except for feeding time because he won't just sit here with me. I'm glad he's feeling better but he's making it more difficult to care for him. I'm sure by Friday we will be sick of each other and ready to get out of each other's hair/feathers. lol

You sound experienced with saving little hummingbirds, yes?
My first hummingbird rescue actually.

Buzzer is feeling much better and wanting to fly more but he has 2 more days of eyedrops to go. His eye is looking much better. The swelling on his eyelid has gone down and he's blinking with it again. It's still partially closed but it looks much better than it did. Buzzer is ready to go. He yelled at me this morning and stabbed me with his beak when I was handling him to get his eyedrops in. Good thing he's so tiny and can't impale me on his sword. lol

I anticipate that I will be releasing him on Friday afternoon if his progress continues. He and I will both be glad to see him back outside.

If you can videotape his release, that would be so awesome! Thank you for nursing the little guy back to health. Hummingbirds have so much personality! And they really pay close attention to anything we do to change our gardens. Maybe you can plant a flowering bush in your garden to commemorate his time with you.

Latest posts

Back