Replace Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethkaylyn

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've been making CP soap for almost 2 years now and have always used lard as my main oil. I would like to use something different for a change ... maybe palm oil?
Any suggestions? I like to keep it simple. Lol

My recipe :
43%.... Lard
30%.... Olive Oil
20%.... Coconut Oil
7%...... Castor oil (i like lots of suds)

Thanks in advance

Palm is sort of a replacement, but many people can tell the difference between a soap made with one or the other. Shea butter is also similar from the make up, but again is different in the feel and can also hinder the later when used at 30% or more - which for a lather-lover like you might not be great news.

I'm wondering if a combination of palm and Shea would give that lovely feeling without ruining the lather too much

Thanks!

I can probably do with less bubbles. Lol
I'm trying to keep it really simple without using too many oils.

How about using tallow. It will up your cleansing value a tad. According to Soapcalc it has more myristic acid than lard and lauric acid which lard does not have. Both up the cleansing value. I do not get the waxy feeling with tallow that I feel in high palm soaps. I do make soaps with 40% palm shortening when I make vegan soap, but they are certainly not my favorites

I vote for sustainable palm oil. I use palm oil in most of my soap. Palm oil and lard are close in fatty acid content except palmitic. Both lard and palm contribute to a stable lather, bar hardness and mildness of the soap.

Lard
Oleic 44-46%
Palmitic 26-28%
Stearic 13-14%
Linoleic 6-10%
Myristic 1-2%

Palm Oil
Palmitic 43-45%
Oleic 38-40%
Linoleic 9-11%
Stearic 4-5%
Myristic 1%

I use
Are in some soaps and palm in others. They are very similar. I like lard just a bit better. They are close though. I've never used hilt Shea to compare.

If you want to try palm, 30-40% is a good range to shoot for before you risk having a waxy feeling soap. The butters (cocoa, shea or mango) are nice additions but you may not want to go over 25% with them since they are known for killing lather. Tallow is nice but as stated by Carolyn, it's more cleansing than lard and with your coconut oil at the percentage it is, you may not have as pleasant a soap.

TEG's suggestion is a nice one since the butters do add something to the soap party. I happen to be partial to mango or cocoa butter with tallow in soaps but shea is nice too. For a lard sub, try 30% tallow and 13% of a butter of your choice.

Thanks so much everyone!
Lots of good advice!

I would try tallow but not sure where to purchase it. Walmart sells lard,
so it was easy to find.

Steve I couldn't agree more. Lol
I've been pricing other oils and lard is the least expensive way to go.
I may have to stick with my original recipe

Hi everyone!
I've been making CP soap for almost 2 years now and have always used lard as my main oil. I would like to use something different for a change ... maybe palm oil?
Any suggestions? I like to keep it simple. Lol

My recipe :
43%.... Lard
30%.... Olive Oil
20%.... Coconut Oil
7%...... Castor oil (i like lots of suds)

Thanks in advance

Palm should be a good thing to try for a change -- interesting for being the veggie option -- but I agree that ideally you would use some tropical butter like shea with it. You won't have any trouble with lather unless you go overboard. Actually with all that castor oil, or a little less castor and more coconut, you probably COULD go a little overboard.

Thanks topofmurrayhill!
I'll work on my new calculations this afternoon. I was thinking the same thing as far as lowering my castor.
Appreciate your ideas

A few weeks ago as I was playing around on SoapCalc with the intent of trying to see if I could come up with a veggie alternative to lard (for those on the board who might have objections to using lard), I came up with this particular combination of veggie fats, which combined has a fatty acid profile almost identical to lard. Although it's not exact, it's pretty darn close and I think it just might do the trick. I haven't tried it out yet, but for what it's worth, here's what I came up with:

Palm 55%
Shea butter 30%
Olive oil 15%

IrishLass :)

A few weeks ago as I was playing around on SoapCalc with the intent of trying to see if I could come up with a veggie alternative to lard (for those on the board who might have objections to using lard), I came up with this particular combination of veggie fats, which combined has a fatty acid profile almost identical to lard. Although it's not exact, it's pretty darn close and I think it just might do the trick. I haven't tried it out yet, but for what it's worth, here's what I came up with:

Palm 55%
Shea butter 30%
Olive oil 15%

This is an alternative recipe for 100% Lard? Cause I can't see any bubbly FAs.

Palm 55%
Shea butter 30%
Olive oil 15%

Good luck with that. To be honest, I'm cringing a little bit at the thought of all that palm oil. The shea may offset it some but I wanna hear how it goes if you try it.

IL didn't intend for her blend to be a soap recipe -- it's a blend of fats with a fatty acid profile similar to lard. If you have a recipe that calls for lard but you don't want to actually use lard, you could substitute her blend of fats for the lard.

I have a blend for "faux tallow" that I have used in place of real tallow in a soap recipe: 72% lard + 20% olive + 8% stearic acid

Last edited:
Back