Renaming after 21 years.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like all of you, I make luscious soaps. I also make an extensive line of butters, lotions, oils and facial skincare. My business name no longer reflects my expertise or offerings. Any tips on renaming would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Would you mind sharing your current business name? Perhaps you can save it with some rebranding and keep your custumer base.

But I know nothing about running a business, so my perspective is... useless!

There are some good resources on YouTube and the interwebs about how to come up with a name for your business. Most of them involve some variation of identifying the core values of the business, as well as your target clients.

Like all of you, I make luscious soaps. I also make an extensive line of butters, lotions, oils and facial skincare. My business name no longer reflects my expertise or offerings. Any tips on renaming would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Alligator Butter? Assuming I have the correct website.

Rebranding is always an 50-50 proposition...it's fairly easy to go with a new 'look', but you're talking about a name change too.

So when you look at your product line...what do you 'see'? Where you do want to go from here? Do you have a favorite color or flower or ingredient or place? What 'speaks' to you?

Alligator Butter? Assuming I have the correct website.

Rebranding is always an 50-50 proposition...it's fairly easy to go with a new 'look', but you're talking about a name change too.

So when you look at your product line...what do you 'see'? Where you do want to go from here? Do you have a favorite color or flower or ingredient or place? What 'speaks' to you?
Yes, Alligator Butter. This is a very helpful response. Thank you

Definitely got a 'grandma' vibe from your packaging. Liked some of the names of your products...like 'Living in Zen'.

I wasn't planning on selling soap...just sort of happened. Picking a name is important. When I started my LDP business I wanted to keep the process simple yet inspire confidence...I went with "Keep it Simply Legal"; ...legal document preparation for pro-se litigants. For my bookkeeping/payroll service company, I was in the middle of the Bakken Oil fields and wanted to provide affordable business solutions to all the new start-ups...I went with "Badlands Business Solutions"; ...affordable expertise.

For my soap business...it was almost a no-brainer. I didn't want to make 'fancy' soaps...no embeds, no frosting, no landscape pictures, no Taiwan Swirls...I wanted simple soaps...single color or a simple swirl...I wanted pastels...like the toilet paper my Mom bought...I wanted to invoke happier days. And what was simpler and happier than the Mid-Century with it's clean architectural lines? "Mid-Century Soap"; ...soap for every body.

To expand on @TheGecko 's sound advice - what would you like for your business name to reflect? I know you said your current name didn't reflect your expertise and offerings, but I'm thinking more of style. What do you want your customers to think/feel when they see your business name and packaging?
- Cozy/Homey
- Elegant/Upscale
- Rustic/Farmhouse
- Minimalist/Modern
- Funky/Quirky
That kind of thing...
For instance: Browsing your website I get mostly a Cozy/Homey vibe from the business name, site, and the packaging. But some of your product names feel more Funky/Quirky. Not a bad combo - I would buy from you in a market :)
But the question is: What do YOU want me (as a customer) to think/feel?

Mimi's Gator Aid!!! 😆

I wouldn't jeopardize your brand with making any major name change. Simply "Mimi's" may be enough. Or "Mimi's Bath & Body", Mimi's Handmade", "Mimi's for You"... you get the idea.

I checked out your web page. Very pretty but it could use some updating. I like the simplicity of your logo -- and the colors. That I would not change.

I would suggest you get some help for a new web site format design -- individual photos of each product, close up -- right now it's a bit of a jumble. My eye doesn't focus on any one thing when there are several items bunched together. As your customer, I want to be able to find exactly what I want without having to look closely.

You could also use some help with label design that catches the eye. Coordinate it across your product line.

That's all I got for now.

Wishing you the best of luck in this endeavor. May you realize your dream!

Good soapers aren't always good with these more artsy parts if the business.
I agree. I've found that to be true with creative people in general. But it isn't so much artsy as it is having "an eye" for presentation. Few soapers have that gift.

My advice is to buzz around the internet looking for web sites that appeal to you to get ideas for "a look" that works for you. It's like working with an interior designer. They often advise tearing pages of things you like out of magazines as a starting point.

my logo (which I don't like)
You can play around with designing your own logo, business cards, labels, etc. at Vista Print to get a feel for what you like. One of my wholesale customers used them for all their business needs. After a while, they got free banners and signs to put up at the various markets they sold at. I'm sure there are many others that offer something similar.

Last edited:
I like some of Zany's ideas. This is a bit too 'cute' but maybe you could get someone to draw you a stylised alligator and incorporate that into your logo along these lines:
IMG_4551.jpg

Check canva.com for logos and labels.

I think your products look unissex, but do you feel the feminine name is a problem with guys?

Check canva.com for logos and labels.

I think your products look unissex, but do you feel the feminine name is a problem with guys?
Not the feminine element as much as the suggestion of "old-fashioned". Mimi's does not invoke any particularly useful imagery, either. I'm leaning toward calendula and shea for imagery and might fid a way to incorporate those. Ex. Mimi's Calendula and Shea for Skin. Domain mimiscalendulaandshea

Not the feminine element as much as the suggestion of "old-fashioned". Mimi's does not invoke any particularly useful imagery, either. I'm leaning toward calendula and shea for imagery and might fid a way to incorporate those. Ex. Mimi's Calendula and Shea for Skin. Domain mimiscalendulaandshea

Too long... How about just Calendula and Shea?

Some of my customers spent the weekend helping me navigate the renaming decision. The name sticks. It was a very fruitful experience. I have website work, new logo and label redesign. This forum is a gold mine.
Just popped online to show you this - a local artist who thought something like this might a be a good logo, and I thought of you straightaway!
Screenshot 2022-02-07 at 8.32.12 PM.png

Let me know iff you want me to put the two of you in touch.

You’ve gotten some great advice here on names and logos! Regarding the name, are there place names near you that would work? I’m thinking geography and geology. Are there valleys or mountains or rivers or another natural feature identifier that would work? For kicks I googled “best handmade soap websites” and found lots of ideas. Since you offer other products, you *might* consider eliminating the word “soap” from your business name. One other thing occurred to me regarding businesses and names is that they are often sold, so you may wish to choose a business name that could be transferred.

Back