Removing soda ash from soap with decorated tops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiecar

Reaction score
Hi all. I know lots of peopl talk about alcohol to remove soda ash. If anyone is in the uk can you tell me which alcohol this is and where to buy it please. Do I wipe it onto the soap after unmolding? Thanks all. This forum is fab for help. :D

Here in the States I use the 92% isopropyl alcohol which I can purchase at most pharmacies.

It's even better to spritz your soap tops with alcohol after you pour. That usually prevents most ash - it doesn't work 100% of the time but it's easier to do on the front end than after the fact.

I recently watched a YouTube video of a lady that just held her soaps over the steam from a hot cup of water. The ash completely disappeared.

lsg said:
I recently watched a YouTube video of a lady that just held her soaps over the steam from a hot cup of water. The ash completely disappeared.

I do that as well, steam from a pot of just boiled/boiling water works well. You may need a paper towel to help scrub a little, and also to protect your fingers.

I use a handheld steamer. Polishes up the soap way better than alcohol or water too.

Agreed! Two seconds in the path of a steamer and it's smooth and shiny!

One more thing about the steamer, don't get too overzealous with it. I have that problem and when its a bar soap thats designed to make dense lather like shave bars, the steamer can make them look worse if blasted too much.

Latest posts

Back