Removing bubbles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhily

Reaction score
I have made 7 or 8 batches and every time each bar has bubbles in them. How do I avoid this? Should I use a vacuum chamber once the soap is ready to go into the molds and then transfer it to the miolds?

I often get bubbles when I have too thick of a trace. Always tap your mold on the counter several times after pouring to help release the bubbles. However, if my trace is too thick, I will still have bubbles in the soap.
Hope this helps.

A few tips:

1. Be sure to "burp" your stick blender every single time you put it back into the batter. Submerse it on an angle, and tap or bang it against the bottom of your mixing container. Change the angle slightly and repeat. Continue doing this until no more bubbles rise to the surface.

2. Make sure the blade assembly, and any holes in the "bell" over the assembly, always stay below the surface of the soap. You may need to use a container with a smaller circumference so that the batter is deep enough to cover the bell.

3. Stop running the stickblender when you see a significant downward vortex forming around it. I can't remember who mentioned that here, but it is a great tip for lessening the amount of air that gets pulled in. You can always restart it after the vortex has settled.

4. Pour in your lye water slowly, down the shaft of the stickblender or spatula. This reduces agitation, which reduces air bubbles.

I have made 7 or 8 batches and every time each bar has bubbles in them. How do I avoid this? Should I use a vacuum chamber once the soap is ready to go into the molds and then transfer it to the miolds?
Soap isn't resin.

Bubbles can be caused by another number of things as noted by @AliOop and @Zing. Plopping in ingredients can cause bubbles, stirring too fast can cause bubbles, stick blending when your batter is at a thick trace. Take a moment to slow down a little, breathe, less stick blender, more stirring, no need to be aggressive, enjoy the process.

Latest posts

Back