Releasing soap from PvC mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made my first hot process and failed to line it, because I was afraid the glopping down 2 feet of tube (way way too big) would bend the liner and defeat the purpose, and I didn't have mineral oil. Now it seems to be permanently stuck lol I do have it in my deep freeze, after an hour saw a tiny sliver of a gap so I thought woohoo and tried pushing and banging it loose on my porch but no luck. The soap itself is about 16 hours old. What is my window before its past cutting time? Any tips on getting it out of the mold now?

Someone on here that uses pvc as a mold, said she puts hers in the warm oven for a bit. Just enough to get the pipe warm. I would imagine that this would cause the outer layer of the soap to heat up and loosen from the mold enough to bang/pound/push it out.

From the lessons I've learned from having them stuck in the past (plenty of mineral oil or vasaline) I haven't had to worry much in a while but the chill thaw/heat seemed to help and when all else failed I would take a length of closet rod and beat the pvc all over. Think more drum circle and less primitive battle. Also what others pointed out to me is that your standard soup can is about the perfect diameter if you are using 3" pipe to push the soap.

I also built an elaborate pneumatic mold with a stem valve to push the soap out but also haven't used that much since I started prepping my molds properly.

I freeze mine then use a soup can to push it out, sometime I have to get hubby involved to really get some muscle behind it. Once it breaks free, it comes out easy.

Lol I just used a series of 6 soup cans and my son helping me push! Freeze then heat. Man learned my lesson though mold prep is not to be skipped!!

I cut it and it has odd white spots - sorry for potato quality pic

image.jpg

Lol I just used a series of 6 soup cans and my son helping me push! Freeze then heat. Man learned my lesson though mold prep is not to be skipped!!

I cut it and it has odd white spots - sorry for potato quality pic

Congrats on conquering the beast! nice smooth cuts too.

One poster here had a stuck PVC mold and took it to the table saw and cut just through the PVC. Then cut a 1/8" strip to fill the gap. now can fill the mold then take the insert out and free the soap with the twist of a flat-head. Brilliant IMO.
Not sure what the white spots are but if you post the recipe peeps here will be full of suggestions what it might be. To me it looks like you may have had a few pockets of batter that didn't get what ever you caused the color in your soap (kelp or clay??).

One poster here had a stuck PVC mold and took it to the table saw and cut just through the PVC. Then cut a 1/8" strip to fill the gap. now can fill the mold then take the insert out and free the soap with the twist of a flat-head. Brilliant IMO.
Not sure what the white spots are but if you post the recipe peeps here will be full of suggestions what it might be. To me it looks like you may have had a few pockets of batter that didn't get what ever you caused the color in your soap (kelp or clay??).

I think you need to send him the plans for that pneumatic mold. That's the best thing I've heard in a while. haha. Crank that air pressure up and shoot the soap out across the yard.

Genius man, pure genius.

Grats on getting it out of the mold Papillon. You're battle didn't seem to mess up the soap. Nice clean lines.

Last edited:
I think you need to send him the plans for that pneumatic mold. That's the best thing I've heard in a while. haha. Crank that air pressure up and shoot the soap out across the yard.

Genius man, pure genius.

I used a bike pump and not the compressor so the results were less dramatic and more... shall we say biological? Leaves you feeling like you just watched something you shouldn't have watched.

Edit: It was a fun build though so no regrets.

ok I'll admit, I got ambitious (everything's listed in oz)
Almond oil 3.2 oz
Apricot Kernel Oil 1.6
Castor Oil 3.2
Cocoa Butter 1.6
Coconut Oil (76 deg)9.6
Olive Oil 9.6
Palm Oil 3.2

Distilled Water 12.16
NaOH 4.58

1 oz total EO's Clove .50 - Vanilla .25 - Orange .25

I also added 1/4 tsp ginger spice, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and a dash of cinnamon. I'm sure those plus the vanilla is why it's brown!

Ran this all through soapcalc.net

That's sort of what I did... i split the PVC and closed it tight with hose clamps when it's in use, then it pops open when I want it to.
pvc-mold1.jpg pvc-mold2.jpg
I also use freezer paper inside the mold and spray in mold-lube before I pour the soap in. The spray lube sticks the freezer paper to the inside of the PVC, so it doesn't droop during the pour. It works pretty well for me.
Todd

I use non stick cooking spray to keep my soap from sticking to my mylar mold liners. You could also cut and bend mylar sheets to line the PVC with. I got my mylar sheets at JoAnn Fabric store in the quilting section. It's relatively inexpensive.

i use abs pipe for my molds and recently learned that uncapping at both ends helps it shrink down better when it's curing. some of the suggestions on here are interesting tho. i'll have to give them a try. cause usually it's just me and empty wine bottle and all the muscles i got

Latest posts

Back