Releasing from moulds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_S

Reaction score
Iv been making candles for nearly a year now and have just in the past few months started making them in seamless metal votive moulds. Iv figured out that once to a certain hardless if i transfer the tray of candles into an outbuilding the cold does a cracking job of getting them too the stage of being able to release them from the moulds. I use wick pins that sit at the bottom of the mould. I spray the moulds with silicone spray before pouring the wax. My problem is that the candle easily release from the metal mould but the wick pin is stuck fast and no amount of trying will usually shift it the only thing iv tried thats worked is heating the bottom of the wick pin with a long lighter and then tap it and it will come off and thats fine but it make the bottom of the candles kinda ugly. Does anyone know if there is something i can do to make it easier to release the wick pin without the heating? Is there a better type of spray i could use? i tried using an olive oil spray but didnt rub it in so it floated in the wax wasnt thinking that one through really until it did that. Oh and i use pillar blend soy wax

Also iv always just left the candles out to cure for about a week but do they actually need fresh air like soaps? could i wrap them and just not use them until cure times over?

What type of wax are you using?
Do you spray the wick pin with the silicone spray as well?
I use 4794 with a touch of vybar, and some stearic. The stearic helps with the release and I usually only have to apply a tiny bit of pressure to the pin and it'll slide right out.

ETA - I see you are using a soy pillar blend. I've never used soy pillar wax so not sure if stearic would work, by you can try spraying the pin with the silicone as well. I also sometimes if it doesn't slide right out (rare) I'll pop them in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes and that'll do the trick.

What type of wax are you using?
Do you spray the wick pin with the silicone spray as well?
I use 4794 with a touch of vybar, and some stearic. The stearic helps with the release and I usually only have to apply a tiny bit of pressure to the pin and it'll slide right out.

ETA - I see you are using a soy pillar blend. I've never used soy pillar wax so not sure if stearic would work, by you can try spraying the pin with the silicone as well. I also sometimes if it doesn't slide right out (rare) I'll pop them in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes and that'll do the trick.

Yes i spray the mould with the wick pin in place so it should be getting the silicone on the wick pin. Does olive oil spray work if you just rub it in gently with a paper towel?

Im wondering if its the silicone spray its just occured to me that the wax is obviously shrinking to release at the sides so maybe its not releasing because the spray just sucks for the job im expecting it to do? Its not a candle release spray its just silicone spray from a diy style shop. The outbuilding is as cold as a frigde at this time of year and im leaving it in the for usually at least an hour. I have been allowing to harden at rt then putting out there to help release it. How long do you normally have to wait to release them? iv had these molds for about 6 months but soap making has taken priority until the past few weeks so iv relativly little experience with the votive moulds im just thinking maybe im not being patient enough. I have heard of using stearic acid ill look into how to use and how much to use in soy. Thanks for the help :)

Have you got an opinion on the curing question? Way i was looking at it was they dont have water to evaporate like soaps so surly they will be ok curing while wrapped its just the wax and fo bonding during curing right? iv about 160 votives that need wrapping and i need to get them shifted out my front room so i can get more made and these stored away they are at least 2 days old some were made on monday so nearly a week

I try pulling the pin while they are still cold if needed. I don't let them warm up to rt.
I don't use olive oil spray so I don't know. I only use silicone spray with my paraffin pillars, not my votives, but with my pillars it works perfectly (not a specific candle spray, just silicone spray like you describe).

I wrap my votives and pillars the next day. I don't use soy, so I don't really know about the soy cure and how it should be handled.

I try pulling the pin while they are still cold if needed. I don't let them warm up to rt.
I don't use olive oil spray so I don't know. I only use silicone spray with my paraffin pillars, not my votives, but with my pillars it works perfectly (not a specific candle spray, just silicone spray like you describe).

I wrap my votives and pillars the next day. I don't use soy, so I don't really know about the soy cure and how it should be handled.

Ok ill do some further research into that cure question. Thanks

No i dont think i explained that very well. I pour in my spare room leave to harden at rt so they dont dent when pressed then put the in my outbuilding. When they are ready to release from the moulds i take them somewhere warmer so i can sit down and sort them out but i usually sort them straight away and they still arnt releasing from the wick pin when still cold. Ill try leaving them in the outbuilding longer or overnight and see if that will help get the flaming wick pin free. Im only making votives at the moment still toying with the idea of bigger candles but yet to start experimenting

Good luck. Let me know how keeping them in the outbuilding a little longer works. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Its ok you tried to help :)

Will do ill try it with next batch. Iv just had a look at google and it says upto a week for cure but no info on if they will cure while wrapped guess ill just have to wait a week and put up with the clutter that comes with it

Latest posts

Back