Reheating M&P

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthSuds

Reaction score
I’ve been having some issues with reheating my M&P soap when they become too think waiting for a layer to harden. I’m using the microwave but should I instead use a double boiler? For some reason when i have to reheat the soap it turns into hardened glue unless I really nuke it which I’m sure isn’t a good thing to do. Anybody have tips to keep my M&P liquid when working with layers as it cools?

Thanks!

You can certainly use a double boiler or just put your cup of soap and let it rest in the simmering water. You don't need to heat it big time. Just until mostly melted then stir the rest. Sounds like you are cooking it. Don't be so tough on it....:)

What type of container are you using? If you are using a glass container, it will hold on to heat better than plastic and may buy you some extra time. You may want to also put your container on some kind of insulating material (a towel, cardboard, wooden cutting board) so the surface of your counter isn't drawing out the warmth. Basically, the reverse of what you do to prevent CP from gelling.

Have you reheat it more than once? The more you reheat MP, the more it looses is qualities, specially suds.

I would also say that the amount you are heating is important. If you are doing something like 4 ounces, the microwave is ok, but if it is a 2 pound batch, definitively a double boiler is better.

Do you have pictures of what you are doing?

Different brands / types of M & P have different melting temps. Some m & p melt easily the first time and stay liquid longer than others. Specifically, I have an issues when working with Stephenson Goats milk m & p. It doesn't do reheats well at all. However, the Stephenson Shea Butter does just fine. I have no problem working with SFIC goats milk m & p.

I work with small batches less than a pound at a time. So, this could make a difference too.

Latest posts

Back