Refrigeration or Insulation?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy_kiwi

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to soaping so followed online 'how-to' guides to start with. These recommended wrapping the soap mould in a towel to insulate it for the first 24 hrs. But I've just been reading a book of soap recipes, and the author instructs to refrigerate for the first 24 hrs.

Since these two techniques are polar opposites, I'm somewhat confused. Which method is correct/better?

those two techniques are used for two total different reasons . 1st . insulation is done to promote gelling in your soap , while 2nd. putting your soap batch / mold in the freezer to stop the chances of gelling. some will put their batch in the freezer if there are chances of it over heating { due to the recipe , or due to ingredients within the batch that may cause overheating. once you do more research you will come to see that where you think there is a contradiction that there is really none [ in proven learned cases ] .

Easiest answer is there is no wrong or right. The wrapping method is to try and insure a "gel" to your soap. The refrigerator method is just the opposite. It's trying to prevent the gel.

I've seen good arguments for both sides, though some of the arguments are based more on "personal style" and "just the way I've always done it".

The argument for refrigerating your soap that would be hard to dismiss, is if you're using something like honey, that is known to overheat. Therefore you wouldn't want to insulate and hold that heat in. If you're just starting I would suggest you make the same batch twice. Insulate one, refrigerate the other. See which one you like better.

I CPOP almost all my soaps, which is along the lines of insulating. Just more extreme. I have used the refrigerator before on some milk soaps though to make sure I didn't overheat.

Hope that helps.

As a beginning soaper, it would be helpful for you to try both methods to see which you prefer. It really is a matter of personal preference. I CPOP all my batches, I like them to gel. There is a subtle difference, and both methods have their fans.

Thanks for all your replies. I've taken your advice, and put a batch in the fridge last night. I'll do another batch and insulate it, then compare.

Latest posts

Back