Refrigerating oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassgirl

Reaction score
I'm getting a little concerned over whether I should be refrigerating any of my oils and butters. I haven't found a comprehensive list of which ones should be refrigerated. I have:

palm oil
coconut oil
jojoba oil
avocado oil
sweet almond oil
aloe extract oil
cocoa butter
shea butter
mango butter
beeswax

Also, do any EO's need refrigeration? Or how about my completed and unsold lip balms?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I've never found a comprehensive answer. I really hope someone will know.

I read that Sunflower oil has a short shelf life.

To be safe I keep all my oils that aren't in huge buckets in the fridge, butters, too.

Thanks, Deda. It sounds like it wouldn't hurt any of them to be refrigerated anyway.

Here is one place I refer to often: http://www.mortarandpestle.net/ingredients.html I have seen several lists, (can not put my finger on them at this moment) but I am finding that not all of one oil is equal. Throw in factors such as deodorized, ultra refined, extraction method.......whew, who knows? It will probably come down to your experience with them in your environment and from what suppliers. I have been debating the validity of ordering some soft butters and oils in the summer because they are often melted upon receipt.

I also refrigerate "delicate" oils that have a short shelf date and sometimes add anti-oxidates to those I am not planning to use right away. Yep, have had to toss some due to rancidity before. Bear in mind that shelf date is not set in stone because you do not always know how long the supplier has had the oil, number of times it has been repackaged (exposed to air and so forth) and condions the container was exposed to during transport which can excelerate decomp.

You can always contact your supplier and ask what they advise for that product. Reputable ones should be happy to help you and know this about what they carry.

For EO's, namely $$ ones or that I will not use frequently, I use a product called Ox-Blox. http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/Ox-B ... 16524.html I worked in a chemistry lab and we often "gassed" certain chemicals each time they were opened to protect them from oxidation. I keep them in dark bottles in a cool place.

One concern I would have in refrigerating finished lip balms, if it is humid when you take them out, they could sweat. Might mess up your labels or worse, collect inside the lid? Try some and see if they do during different times of the year. :D

Digit

Latest posts

Back