Refined shea vs unrefined

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WSP has a sale on Shea again, and I'm curious if there is any other difference between the refined and unrefined shea butters beside smell and color. Specifically performance differences in soap. I got unrefined Shea my last order and holy moly that is some woody/earthy scent! I may try using the smell as a "note" in a soap one day. Anyway, "ultra refined," high melt seems to be the most expensive, and unrefined and ultra-refined have about the same cost, weirdly unrefined is slightly more expensive. I know with some oils and fats there are "unsaponifiables" that are contributors to performance, I'm wondering if refinement has an affect there.

Dawni

Reaction score
Me neither. Not in soap at least.

Here though unrefined is about 25% more expensive than refined. I happen to love the scent of unrefined shea and it adds label appeal, and since I use it for my lotion bars I use the same in soap coz I didn't think I wanted to be bothered by two separate kinds.

I've always thought I might do it but since I get a good price for my unrefined I haven't changed lol

I cannot describe the difference in my lotion bars though... They just "glide on and stay on differently" is the best I can come up with this early in the morning, sorry haha

TheGecko

Reaction score
Here though unrefined is about 25% more expensive than refined.

Reminds me of the days of Leaded and Unleaded Gas. Gas is naturally 'unleaded', yet it was always more expensive to purchase.

Reaction score
I once had a jar of ED unrefined shea that traced faster for me in a side-by-side comparison with SC refined shea. I only did that one test, so YMMV. It wasn’t a big problem, just a bit faster. As I recall, the test recipe was highish palm, which may have played a role. I mostly use refined now because I buy it in bulk at Soapers Choice (and store it in the refrigerator).

Becky1024

Reaction score
Unrefined has a more cream / yellow color than refined in soap. Other than that, no difference.

Latest posts