Reed Diffusers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Bamba

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm about to start making reed diffusers using EOs only, not fragrance oils.
I was wondering if anyone else makes them, and if so which base they use, popular blends etc.
I can't start yet though because I've been sick off and on for 6 weeks with a flu like virus, and I can't even smell Eucalyptus! I tried to make some tried and tested blends and they all smelt vile; clearly my nose skills are malfunctioning.
Can't wait to get started properly!

It's been awhile since I did reed diffusers. I used WSP base (I think) but couldn't find it. Here's some interesting info from MMS on DPG to increase EOs scent and make it longer lasting.

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Dipropylene-Glycol.html

SINUS RELIEF BLEND
56 grams Camphor, White EO
15 grams Eucalyptus EO
29 grams Menthol Crystals
100 grams TOTAL

Last edited:
I was reading an article about Reed diffusers, the writer experimented with various bases and various reeds. She came to the conclusion an easy, economical, home made base gave the best results, and fibre reeds. I’ve made her home made base and found it worked very well. For 100 grams distilled water add 30 drops of fragrance, 30 drops polysorbate 40 and a preservative. I was very underwhelmed by the base that I purchased so I’m now using the above recipe with fibre diffusers. Of course you can adjust the amount of fragrance to your liking and adjust the polysorbate to the same amount.

For 100 grams distilled water add 30 drops of fragrance, 30 drops polysorbate 40 and a preservative.
Thanks for the DIY Recipe for the base. :)

Polysorbate 40? Am I reading that correctly? Usually, Poly 20 or 80 is used for making EOs/FOs water soluble. I didn't even know Poly 40 was available. Going to have a look now... :goodbye1:

Last edited:
Thanks for the DIY Recipe for the base. :)

Polysorbate 40? Am I reading that correctly? Usually, Poly 20 or 80 is used for making EOs/FOs water soluble. I didn't even know Poly 40 was available. Going to have a look now... :goodbye1:
Oops I meant polysorbate 20, I don’t know where my head was at, sorry X

Just this weekend I started back creating and I was making a room spray. I mixed equal parts polysorbate 20 and FO, mixed with 8 oz water and it still separated as if I didn't have any polysorbate 20 in it. Any suggestion on what went wrong?

I mixed equal parts polysorbate 20 and FO, mixed with 8 oz water and it still separated as if I didn't have any polysorbate 20 in it. Any suggestion on what went wrong?
A ratio of 1:1 works with liquid oils. For EOs and FOs, I use 1:3 or 4. For example, 1 teaspoon of FO to 1 tablespoon of Poly 20 or 80.

Method: Add the Poly 20 to room temp water. Stir until clear. Then add the FO. Stir and let set to make sure it doesn't rise to the top. Add more Poly 20, a portion at a time, until it fully incorporates into the solution.

PS: I love linen and room sprays and body mists. Instead of water I use 80 proof vodka that is 40% ethyl alcohol by volume. I add an equal amount of water to lower the alcohol content to 20%, i.e., acts as preservative.

HTH :computerbath:

Back