Reducing friction at sides of a mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My new little slab mold, which has a silicone liner that feels a bit more draggy compared with my other silicone liners, also has a lot of edge area relative to volume. As a result of the dragginess and edginess, the batter at the sides is slowing down a bit more than I would like as it moves along the mold. This affects the design for some types of pours, e.g. a line pour. I can try using warmer and thinner batter, but both have their limits. Maybe adding a tiny bit more batter near the edges on each pour would help. I can also add a thin layer of batter on the bottom without affecting the design. I’m thinking about “greasing” the sides of the mold with a light oil as a possible way to reduce the friction. Will it help or cause problems? Short of spraying WD-40 🤣, give me some ideas!

eta: I haven’t been warming the mold/liner, but will add that to the list of things to try.

Last edited:
My new little slab mold, which has a silicone liner that feels a bit more draggy compared with my other silicone liners, also has a lot of edge area relative to volume. As a result of the dragginess and edginess, the batter at the sides is slowing down a bit more than I would like as it moves along the mold. This affects the design for some types of pours, e.g. a line pour. I can try using warmer and thinner batter, but both have their limits. Maybe adding a tiny bit more batter near the edges on each pour would help. I can also add a thin layer of batter on the bottom without affecting the design. I’m thinking about “greasing” the sides of the mold with a light oil as a possible way to reduce the friction. Will it help or cause problems? Short of spraying WD-40 🤣, give me some ideas!

eta: I haven’t been warming the mold/liner, but will add that to the list of things to try.
Food grade silicone spray. Use generously on all sides. Dry. Fill.

The more I think about it, I‘m getting a vision of the oil beading up if I try to spread it on a silicone surface. Does silicone spray stick to silicone? I think I should try warming the mold first. And/or maybe try slipping a strip of silicone-coated parchment paper in along one side/soap edge as a comparison with an opposite bare silicone liner side.

Are you concerned with getting drag from the lip of the mold as you move your pour back and forth? I’m maybe confused. But one video showed simply “greasing” the lip of the mold by wiping it with a tiny amount of raw soap batter. I tried it and it worked well. No worries about sprays or oils beading up on the silicone, which they always do for me.

Back