Red wine lotion??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isha

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this... I was on amazon n found a red winw lotion n also one of the other soaper posted on fb..(. Wud not disclose info)

I searched here n couldnt find anything.

Has anyone made n red wine lotion? N willing to guide me with the % and process..

I wud like to try.making some.

Has anyone tried this... I was on amazon n found a red winw lotion n also one of the other soaper posted on fb..(. Wud not disclose info)

Has anyone made n red wine lotion? N willing to guide me with the % and process..

I haven't heard of this before. Again, I think wine would be a difficult ingredient to keep preserved. Do you have a link you could provide?
Are you sure the lotion isn't red wine fragranced? Or perhaps they are using reservatrol or grape extracts?

I would guess Red Wine FO as well. Or possibly somebody adding a teaspoon or two for label appeal.
I saw.on brambleberry and few other sites about wine fo..
She seems to be claiming adding it as addative witb silk peptides

Hello! Yes, its actually good for skin—think grape seed extract-(antioxidants,etc). I’ve made several creams&lotions using wine and they were great. Like most everything, the resulting feel is based on your recipe.
Basically, you’ll replace a portion of your water/liquid with ‘reduced’ wine( explanation below). Typically, I do about 1/3 to 1/2 of liquid(water) needed for my recipe. Otherwise, there’s really no difference in formulating or specific/special requirements that I know of or have encountered.

To “reduce” you’ll simply boil your wine, which burns off the alcohol content. Whatever amount you need for your recipe, make sure you double that amount for the boil as it will evaporate & reduce to about half the starting amount—ie. if recipe calls for 6oz of wine, boil 12oz. Put wine in pan on stove, as soon as it starts to boil, turn heat down to low simmer for about 10 minutes. Be sure and weigh before adding to ensure you have amt needed

As a
Again, using anything but water will provide food for mold and other ickies maybe more as wine has built in sugars. Preserving would be a nightmare and if not preserved correctly is dangerous.
As an overall formulating safety rule of thumb, I have to agree with your statement.
As an individual, Ive not personally encountered any issues with proper preservation.

As a

As an overall formulating safety rule of thumb, I have to agree with your statement.
As an individual, Ive not personally encountered any issues with proper preservation.
Do you have all your batches of "Wine Lotion" challenged tested. You cannot tell if there are ickies any other way. Not something I would try after discovering how hard it can actually be to preserve. I know use a dual preservative system, even with no real bug food additives

Again, using anything but water will provide food for mold and other ickies maybe more as wine has built in sugars. Preserving would be a nightmare and if not preserved correctly is dangerous.
True.. Tats is the reason i wanted to know about usage %. ive seen ppl adding honey to lotions as part of their formulation. Not sure how well they r preserved.
Im using pheponip . Wud u recommened any other preservative as addition or alternative in case I plan on trying sugar based addative

Do you have all your batches of "Wine Lotion" challenged tested. You cannot tell if there are ickies any other way. Not something I would try after discovering how hard it can actually be to preserve. I know use a dual preservative system, even with no real bug food additives
But how do you know? A lotion can look perfectly fine and can either or bacteria or mold. You cannot see it, smell it or have any color change and the lotion can look perfect but still have ickies. There is a well known supplier that has a recipe listed and it does grow mold as I suspected it would. It happens to be the addition of a small percentage of tapioca starch.

I have read that some biologist do not recommend using honey in cosmetic products especially handmade, since most do not have a full lab or the knowledge to do all the testing.

Isha, I am sorry but no I do not have a recommendation it has taken me the better part of a year to figure out which to use in my products and I do not add bug foods. other than a small percentage of aloe juice, which contains it own preservative and some glycerin. Even those took me some time to get them preserved, so I have actually nixed the aloe juice. I am a long way from being an expert at making lotions, but I am ocd when it comes to sanitizing so I really do not think that is the problem and one of my go to preservatives is higher heat so it goes it quickly and I also cool down my lotions quick. After initial emulsification I use ice cold distilled water to hasten the cool down along with an ice bath

Last edited:
I have nothing more to offer. If you insist on using things that can potentially be dangerous then do so at your own risk. And, be sure to have a really good insurance policy in place. You’ve received good information as well as resources to read and learn from. Good luck to you.

I am thankful for all the great advice I get from here and heartfully accept them. I'm not that adamant or foolish to make n sell something thats not safe... .
I just want to keep experimenting and learning. But I do make sure i ask before I try something new to get inputs from thise who have made it. So that I make minimum mistakes as possible..

Thanks everyone

Red wine in lotion? I’m intrigued but would never use it though... how about extracts guys? Will those be the bug food too? I’m not making any lotion nor ever made one, but just wanna know.

Back