Red Papaya Fragrance oil reverses trace?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
Doing some tests of the tiny sampler vials from soapalooza.... had one do something really weird. Seems to have reversed trace???? All the other samples as well as everything on my mixing supplies has started setting, and this bar is still liquid. It was their Red Papaya, which I was actually expecting to accelerate based on my fruity experiences so far. It was the fourth bar poured so I don't think it was a floating oil issue.

Has this happened to anyone else? I didn't see anything on search....

I've had that happen before. I wish I could remember the name of the FO, but it slips my mind right now (for what it's worth, it was not Red Papaya). Anyway, it reversed trace and I had to use my stick-blender intermittently for about 20 minutes to finally get it up to a medium trace. Thankfully, it didn't separate on me or anything like that. It just thinned my batter out when added is all.

IrishLass :)

I recently had an FO reverse trace!! I think it was Oud Wood from AHRE but I have to check my notes. So weird! I mean, good for swirls I suppose but it took forever to harden enough to slice.

I have had the same happen with certain FO's. They are useful to know for things that take time. I think ti was Candle Science's Fruit Slices mixed with BB's Champagne that I recently use in batter that was quite thick. I was working fast and just focusing on getting things in the mold, so much so that it didn't register that my batter was thinning rapidly. It went form medium to heavy trace to separating slightly after I poured it. I was pretty ticked that I didn't see it. My soap was okay, thankfully.

I recently had an FO reverse trace!! I think it was Oud Wood from AHRE but I have to check my notes. So weird! I mean, good for swirls I suppose but it took forever to harden enough to slice.

I'd be interested to hear if this was the case for the Oud Wood since I just ordered it.

Ok so I'm not crazy :). Good news is , it did eventually thicken and harden. Don't think I'd use that one to do any "tricks" with....

Surprisingly I haven't had that happen 'yet'..however it would be good to note somewhere..would be good to mix those maybe with some known FO's that acc trace.

Back