Red Palm Oil....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody... made a batch using 15% red palm oil. Love the color. Anyways, had some issues. This heated up quite a bit. Top looks a little funky and one side has pot marks. Been using packing wrap (industrial strength saran wrap) for last couple batches. I think I might be wrapped to tight. (the soap, silly) Not a palm soap fan. But wanted to use red palm. 15% red palm, 32.5% co, 32.5% oo, 5% castor, 5% kokum butter. Pot marks are only on this side. Thanks for looking.
121179614_1748511638642475_6551666860942061250_n.jpg 121153690_346161933338790_3178042109179686006_n.jpg

Those could be unsaponified spots but I'm not sure. I've never seen perfect little circles like that. What was your lye usage? It could be glycerin but I doubt that. Are the spots softer than the surrounding areas?

The 'spots' could be from the silicone mold. Do you wash your molds?

Ha Ha, you all missed it. :D Those spots are water condensation droplets. While the soap was cooling condensation formed under the saran and dripped down the mold lining. This is why when I gelled my soaped under the heat pads and blankets in totes I would lay a towel across the top of the tote under the lid (stretched tight) to catch the condensation. The spots are there to stay but certainly do not hurt anything they are just aesthetic.

Ha Ha, you all missed it.

Yep...missed that even though I use plastic wrap or a old warped cutting mat. But my reasons were because I didn't want my soap to overheat and separate...didn't think about the fact that I was also allowing steam (water) to escape.

Exactly! Dr. Watson. They are little craters. Should plane off. (if I had a planer) I will poke a couple of pin holes next time. Another loaf I made same night. Has same issue. Always something new to learn. Thanks

Latest posts

Back