Red Palm butter....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody. Used up last of Red Palm. Also added apricot kernel oil, avocado oil, Cocoa butter. 20210828_164340.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Now I need to find red palm oil....
Popular cooking oil I buy it at a local African market. Soapers Choice used to carry it, but it didn't show up when I checked there. If you do a search, Walmart online offers it, which is kinda cool. The price looks right too. I'd rather do that than make the 45-minute round trip to the African market! :nodding:

FYI: The unrefined red palm I buy has black sediment in it that needs to be strained out before soaping... or not ... I think it's just charcoal from processing it over an open fire, or whatever. ???

Popular cooking oil I buy it at a local African market. Soapers Choice used to carry it, but it didn't show up when I checked there. If you do a search, Walmart online offers it, which is kinda cool. The price looks right too. I'd rather do that than make the 45-minute trip to the African market! :nodding:
Oh, perfect! Thank you! I'll probably try our local global foods market first. Of anyone locally would have it, they probably would.

Check out Asian stores as well (Indian, Thai, Chinese). I was surprised that 2 of the 5ish I'm occasionally visiting, do carry it.

FYI: The unrefined red palm I buy has black sediment in it that needs to be strained out before soaping... or not ... I think it's just charcoal from processing it over an open fire, or whatever. ???
Sounds like zomi. I also noticed that it's not perfectly clear after melting up, and that it considerably accelerates trace compared to RBD palm oil. It has a more intense aroma, less fruity but more savoury. Soap with a lot of zomi tends to become brownish, rather than bright lobster/rowanberry-red from “non-zomi”/“regular”/filtrated (??? idk if it has a special name in Nigeria/Ghana) red palm oil.
Some organic stores used to carry the filtrated variant (for a horrendous price, though), but I guess this perspective for sustainable palm growers got butchered by the anti-palm campaign.

Red palm is gorgeous! My skin loves the soft feel after washing off, my nose loves the smell, my palate loves the taste (when cooking with the oil itself, not the soap, of course!) … just the yellow lather (staining) can be annoying at times.

Smells like pumpkin after cutting them open to make jack 'o lanterns!

Good job, there! Great color and photo. Red palm oil soap always reminds me of retro Dial. I use a MAXIMUM of 5% and get the same color as @Ford . A lil' bit goes a loooong way. When I use red palm, I do not use any other colorant.
And, @Peachy Clean Soap , great to see you again. I'm lovin' your new look, too!
Awwww Thank Ü...🤗❤️
I'll adhere to your advise on the RPO' good to know. 🤗💫

At 5% it's a nice bright warm yellow. The higher the percentage, the more carrot or pumpkin like it will become, but also the “leaking” (migration, diffusion) of the dyes through the bar will become more annoying. It's not ideal for intricate swirls, combines badly with white or light blue colours.

See my July challenge (red palm confetti embedded in M&P) – it's going on “leaking”, I'll give it a few more weeks of diffusion until the next update. (There you also see what I mean by “brown” soap from zomi palm oil)

I forgot to mention that even at 5%, my mold got a yellow stain. Sometimes it would come off in the first washing, and for sure after the second use of it (the yellow stain never affected the color of the next soap batch). Just a heads up.

All the red palm oil I find says it is zomi. Could someone please share the brand or supplier they use for RPO? I'd really love to try it

Back