Red Devil NaOH 50 Pounds, $113 free shipping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just searched for chemical supply near me and went to the different companies websites. Some companies list as sodium hydroxide while others list as caustic soda. I then called to get pricing and minimum amounts. I'm able to get 50 lbs. for $65.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Devil-Sodium...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=W5ECY1HR5MTBTAPXQFZ5&th=1

just found this on Amazon and promptly ordered

Best price I have found thus far when shipping costs are included

Could folks remind me what kind of chemical supply house from which you are able to purchase lye locally?

Thanks Much!

Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply Company, some purchase at Home Depot (although I don't) and other big box type home stores. That's for the 1 or 2-pound size containers, though and not huge lots of it.

Be careful to prevent moisture from the air getting into your bucket of lye crystals, by not leaving the lid off for any length of time. If you are in a humid area, and I think Atlanta is humid if you are in the Atalanta in the US state of Georgia, you may run into some issues with the humidity and your dry lye. I would get some larger desiccant packets with perhaps a contrasting color to keep the moisture from being absorbed by the lye.

@Clarice I would break it down into smaller bottles and store them in a large bucket with a gamma seal. I did purchase 55lb a few times and it came in a bag. I had saved a bunch of 2 lb bottles from lye I had previously purchased. 1 it was a pain to transfer and two it absorbed moisture pretty quickly even during the transfer process. It takes a long time to use 50 lbs of lye. I purchase 64 lbs and it takes me about 1 1/2 years to use it all. I make a lot of soap. So just be sure to store it well.

I went through 10 pounds in no time - so I was thinking I would go through this in a snap - we will see! I was thinking of getting the monster Nalgene bottles with screw lids to store excess.

I just searched for chemical supply near me and went to the different companies websites. Some companies list as sodium hydroxide while others list as caustic soda. I then called to get pricing and minimum amounts. I'm able to get 50 lbs. for $65.00
Wow - prices have gone up. When I was purchasing that way it was 25 cents per lb. The cheapest lye through Amazon is the Essential Depot 32 lbs. in 2 lb. containers using the Greener Life discount code. 32 lbs. @ $47.97 plus $21 shipping minus $9.59 discount runs $59.38 which comes out to $1.85 per lb. vs the Red Hot Devil @ $2.23/lb.

I purchase mine through Essential Depot with the Discount as well when it's on sale. I generally purchase 64 lbs at a time when it's on sale and I know I'll need more.

Another sometimes good option for lye is Wholesale Supplies Plus. They sell 18 lbs. for $44.95 which includes shipping and comes out to $2.49 per lb. They have a new price match policy so it's possible that they would sell the lye at the Duda Diesel or Essential Depot price...

@SoaperForLife - Don't forget to add their 5.95 handling fee to the price. I really resent that as they already have shipping figured in to their product prices. I order sometimes from them but only what I can't get elsewhere.

Back