Red coconut oil-does it have colored lather?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
Bought a jug of the red oil when it was on sale...realized I havent' seen anyone say if it leads to colored lather when used as the colorant in a soap. Sooooo does it lather yellow? :mrgreen:

Lather is normal. Adding blue mica to it makes green soap. Gelling changes the color as well.
I have a batch that looks like cheddar cheese and used some in a high/low water batch that gave two colors of yellow and two shade of green. Lots of possibilities with it.

Red coconut oil? I've seen red palm oil but never red coconut

Sorry can't answer about the lather though

Irishlass-yep, it's the Snappy popcorn oil just the colored version. For the price, couldn't resist even if I just use it for "me" bars!

Steve-ok, thank you! Great hint on the blue...I have a few different ones I color green and was needing a different shade anway!

Bought a jug of the red oil when it was on sale...realized I havent' seen anyone say if it leads to colored lather when used as the colorant in a soap. Sooooo does it lather yellow? :mrgreen:

Your oil just has beta carotene added to it. Not enough to color the lather, I'm sure. Probably enough to affect the color of the soap. Like many natural colorants, you might find it fades or morphs over time in soap.

Your oil just has beta carotene added to it. Not enough to color the lather, I'm sure. Probably enough to affect the color of the soap. Like many natural colorants, you might find it fades or morphs over time in soap.

So far it's holding color but it's only been a month. Time will tell. It could get interesting if the beta fades leaving only the micas.:think:

Back