Recycled Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This one is made using cuts and extra pieces from the soap I entered for the April 2022 SMF challenge. Colored with oxides and scented with a tweak on Spiked Orange from EOCalc:

94B4B6F2-03F3-4B4F-9872-4AD8C7F2A78D.jpeg

For this one I threw most of the trimmings from a March 2022 SMF challenge soap (non-entry) into the oils and then made the batter, plus I added a handful of soap chunks for good measure. Scented with Volcano from WSP and colored with mica.

67414DB1-31D9-4CA9-A9F1-770122044CD7.jpeg

I used the same method described above, but didn’t add soap chunks. The trimmings were from my entry soap for the March 2022 SMF Challenge, colored with micas and scented with Nurture’s BRV. Much to my surprise, the original has turned out to be my most popular soap to date.

9C4D82EA-F1B1-4428-8DC1-D2BF96763138.jpeg

As far as I’m concerned, stick blending trimmings into warm oil and then making soap is much easier than first grating it, chopping it finely with a knife, or using the food processor. This approach is likely to become my go-to way to recycle soap trimmings. I did not try to completely melt/blend the pieces into the base (Ciaglia method), but it’s on my list of things to try.

Note: edited to fix hyperlinks
Also want to add that my original soap trimmings for the blue and pink bars were long, thin curls from beveling soap edges and flat, wide and thin curls from planing the surfaces of the soaps.

Last edited:
They are all beautiful, but that first one is especially gorgeous. Did you place chunks in a slab mold? They are so perfectly positioned.
Thank you ❤️ Yep, I positioned the embeds after pouring enough batter in the slab mold to hold them in place and then poured in the remaining batter.

@Jersey Girl and @MiscellaneousSoaper12 thank you ❤️

These are all gorgeous, as usual, Ms Mobjack! I really like the speckled effect of stick blending those scraps into the oils, and I may very well try that next time for something different.
Thank you ❤️ We like speckled soap at our house. I got away with adding thin soap shaving curls into the oils without breaking them up in advance, but had to stir out the resulting air bubbles before adding the lye water. The instructions at the Lovely Greens give the guidelines for how much soap to add. I used slightly more than recommended and it was fine, but I will stick with 40% or less of oil weight the next time.

Back