Recreating aleppo soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, is it possible to take the Lauris nobilis leaves and dry them and macerate in olive oil to get the bay oil and what procedure would you recommend if so ie what weight bay leaves to oil. I have attempted it in a small quantity and the soaps smell good and look pretty good although at this time still curing?
Berries and leaves yield two different product. We produce Laurel Leaf Essential oil by steam distillation which has a long process and can't be done at home. If you macerate leaves into Olive Oil, you will only get a flavor. Fresh leaves also smell great, you may also try it that way.

Check out sponsor display section on the forum...I am new to soapforum....what does this mean??
I can't advertise on this section. Here is contact info.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=41503

Last edited by a moderator:
Shelf life is 3 years. Just sent out 90kg to France and sending another 150kg to UK. I did not have any problem. I know that there are lab tests that each country requires at import export level of the business. I also export Olive Oil and it is applied to it as well. Aleppian soapmaker export Laurel Berry Soaps to every country in EU.

I would like to know and read the source on banning Laurel Berry Oil.

It is E.U. Directive 76/768/EWG

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/sectors/cosmetics/documents/directive/

If you read Annex II you will see that laurel berry oil is banned in cosmetics sold in the EU.

In this document--a "toilet soap", e.g. soap for face and body, is included as a cosmetic.

I made some more research about this. The oil is not banned as long as it does not contain oil from the seeds of the berries. It is the oil from the seed that is banned.

It is E.U. Directive 76/768/EWG

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/sectors/cosmetics/documents/directive/

If you read Annex II you will see that laurel berry oil is banned in cosmetics sold in the EU.

In this document--a "toilet soap", e.g. soap for face and body, is included as a cosmetic.
Hello there, Thanks for the input, you can't imagine how good is to learn from others and share the information you have. Your post led me to search the COSING ingredients in EU and I found out that the CAS numbers are really mixed up.

I have attached COSING Sheet of Laurus Nobilis Fruit Oil also known as Laurel Berry Oil and it is Skin Conditioner according to EU. If annex II was the case Aleppo Soaps, Marseille Soaps, Shampoos, Creams and Aromatherapists should be banned in EU. We have come to that great thread '' Entering the murky world of EU regulations''.

I have run into the restricted one which is Oil from the seeds of Laurus nobilis L. (this L. at the end is very important, what is it?) but could not find any explanation to it. What is it and why is it restricted? Maybe it is the seed to plant the tree:) Thanks

COSING_Ingredient.pdf-page-001.jpg

What about the smell of Aleppo soap? I have made lots of batches of Aleppo and smell like the laurel oil, which is ok but the real Aleppo soap doesn´t smell like that at all, it´s another kind of smell that I love. I wonder what is the secret behind the smell of Aleppo soap. Maybe they use a blend of mediterranean herbs?? Does anyone have any idea?

Please do not resurrect threads that haven't been active for years. It's called "necroposting" and we discourage this practice.

This thread is almost 5 years old. Many of the posters are no longer active members.

There's nothing wrong with asking your question, but please start a new thread to do this. You may also want to provide a link in your new thread to this old one.

Sorry, about the "necroposting thing", didn´t have a clue ! :) I´m new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back