Recreating aleppo soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link. It appears they do ship worldwide. Although they are currently out of stock of the 1 L, they do have 100 and 250 no available.

I ran the 1 L through the shopping cart, and the total with shipping outside of Europe would run just below 104 Euros, or about $145. It's a shame it's not available in North America.

How does yours look and smell? Is it the black paste everyone has described?

Williamsburg, VA

Thanks for the link. It appears they do ship worldwide. Although they are currently out of stock of the 1 L, they do have 100 and 250 no available.

I ran the 1 L through the shopping cart, and the total with shipping outside of Europe would run just below 104 Euros, or about $145. It's a shame it's not available in North America.

How does yours look and smell? Is it the black paste everyone has described?

Williamsburg, VA

Yes, it is a very thick paste but it is not black. It is dark green and it smells quite nice. As I said, when I am sure of the recipe, I will give it a go. I don't know what percentage of bay laurel oil to use. I have seen soaps with 30% bay laurel oil but I seem to remember reading that it was too much. So, I don't really know what to do...

Hello all, let me know if you have any questions about Laurel Berry Oil and making soap with it.

Hello all, let me know if you have any questions about Laurel Berry Oil and making soap with it.

Thank you for your offer to answer questions about this. Have you made some Aleppo soap yourself? What percentage of laurel berry oil did you use? And lastly, did you use any EO and, if so, which one(s)?

I am about to make some Aleppo soap but cannot decide what EO to use. I have some laurel EO but am not sure whether to use that on its own or mix it with something else or make the soap unscented. Also, I cannot decide which percentage of laurel berry oil to use. I have seen soaps with 40% laurel berry oil. I bought this oil a while ago but have not used it yet because I can't decide what to do. It was so expensive, I don't want to waste it.

Lastly, I have read that it is better to use extra virgin olive oil for this type of soap (rather than the normal one). Is this correct? I am also planning to use the cold process. Is this OK?

I hope you can answer all these questions! Thanks in advance.

Yes, I have been making Aleppo Soaps for the last 3 years. The percentage of the Laurel Berry Oil is up to you. You may mix as much as you like. I even make soap with only Laurel Berry Oil. I would recommend you to add at least 20% of Laurel Berry Oil to get its scent and benefits If you are gonna mix it with Olive Oil. Moreover, the more you add Laurel Berry Oil the more you get lather. I do not add Essential Oil to it but you may add around %0,1.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil has great properties. You may want to use it on your skin. On the other hand, virgin oil that has good smell and color is also suitable for Cold Process.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Traditional Laurel Berry Oil = Happy Showers:))

Yes, I have been making Aleppo Soaps for the last 3 years. The percentage of the Laurel Berry Oil is up to you. You may mix as much as you like. I even make soap with only Laurel Berry Oil. I would recommend you to add at least 20% of Laurel Berry Oil to get its scent and benefits If you are gonna mix it with Olive Oil. Moreover, the more you add Laurel Berry Oil the more you get lather. I do not add Essential Oil to it but you may add around %0,1.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil has great properties. You may want to use it on your skin. On the other hand, virgin oil that has good smell and color is also suitable for Cold Process.

Thank you so much. If I make it now, I can have ready for next Christmas!:D

Thank you so much. If I make it now, I can have ready for next Christmas!:D

Does anyone know what the traditional method of making this soap is? HP, CP, Elf method?

Does anyone know what the traditional method of making this soap is? HP, CP, Elf method?
The traditional method of making this soap is HP with lots of seawater. It is made in large pots with drainage at bottom.

1. Seawater and half of the caustic soda you are gonna use brought to boil.
2. Oils added
3. Mixture of seawater and rest of the caustic soda added while oils are turning soap.
4. Pot boils for 4-6 hours
5. Water is drained and fresh water added in 4-6 hours of boiling (The reason doing that is to drain excessive caustic soda and foreign objects if there is any)
6. The soap is let rested for 4-8 hours ( Water goes down while resting)
7. The soap is taken out from the pot to large mixer if there is any essential oil is going to be added. (if not it goes straight to #8)
8. The soap is poured into molds. ( Aleppo style is pouring into molds on the ground that are 1,5 -2,5 inch in height)
9. Soap is rested for 4-5 days and cut.
10. Soap is rested for at least 3-4 months depending on the climate conditions.

Yes, it is a very thick paste but it is not black. It is dark green and it smells quite nice. As I said, when I am sure of the recipe, I will give it a go. I don't know what percentage of bay laurel oil to use. I have seen soaps with 30% bay laurel oil but I seem to remember reading that it was too much. So, I don't really know what to do...
The right address is to buy Laurel Oil is Turkey. Aleppo soaps are famous but the Laurel Oil used in it even goes from Turkey. Let me know if you need any.

The right address is to buy Laurel Oil is Turkey. Aleppo soaps are famous but the Laurel Oil used in it even goes from Turkey. Let me know if you need any.

Well, I finally made it! I decided to go for 35% laurel oil and 65% olive oil. I also added some salt (since I don't have any sea water) and some laurel EO. I unmoulded it today. It is still a bit soft, but it has a lovely colour (pale green) and smells quite nice. I have to leave it for quite a long time, I know. That will be the most difficult bit!

I wouldn't mind making some more so am interested in your supply from Turkey. How could I get it?

Well, I finally made it! I decided to go for 35% laurel oil and 65% olive oil. I also added some salt (since I don't have any sea water) and some laurel EO. I unmoulded it today. It is still a bit soft, but it has a lovely colour (pale green) and smells quite nice. I have to leave it for quite a long time, I know. That will be the most difficult bit!

I wouldn't mind making some more so am interested in your supply from Turkey. How could I get it?
Great news....It is gonna probably lose its color as it dries but still great. Did you do HP? I actually signed up here to see what the end users are thinking about this product and help them with it. Just google Atra Garden Laurel Berry Oil and get in touch for it.

Great news....It is gonna probably lose its color as it dries but still great. Did you do HP? I actually signed up here to see what the end users are thinking about this product and help them with it. Just google Atra Garden Laurel Berry Oil and get in touch for it.

I did CP. As for the Atra website, I had a look at it but they only seem to sell the laurel oil in batches of 25 kg and the smallest essential oil is 1 kg. Even though I make a lot of soap, this is too much for me!

Thank you anyway.

The traditional method of making this soap is HP with lots of seawater. It is made in large pots with drainage at bottom.

1. Seawater and half of the caustic soda you are gonna use brought to boil.
2. Oils added
3. Mixture of seawater and rest of the caustic soda added while oils are turning soap.
4. Pot boils for 4-6 hours
5. Water is drained and fresh water added in 4-6 hours of boiling (The reason doing that is to drain excessive caustic soda and foreign objects if there is any)
6. The soap is let rested for 4-8 hours ( Water goes down while resting)
7. The soap is taken out from the pot to large mixer if there is any essential oil is going to be added. (if not it goes straight to #8)
8. The soap is poured into molds. ( Aleppo style is pouring into molds on the ground that are 1,5 -2,5 inch in height)
9. Soap is rested for 4-5 days and cut.
10. Soap is rested for at least 3-4 months depending on the climate conditions.

I want to check up a few things, so I know I understand right.

1. Is only half the lye solution added because you want to reach "trace" faster? About how long time into boiling are you adding the other half of the lye solution?

2. Is NaOH or KOH used nowadays? It looks like traditionally it was made by ashes, which would mean KOH. Would NaOH make a too hard soap?

3. Is it really true that the soap is boiled at 200C (not F) as some sites are claiming?

4. When fresh water is added, how do you exactly do it? Do you mix in the water properly? I mean, does not the soap solve up into the water and you end up with a gel? How do you prevent soap loss when draining the water? With how much water do you rinse it? Like same amount as soap?

I have only made soap where I have had no excess water nor excess lye solution so this with extra much water is very confusing for me. I want to learn as much as possible before I order any oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back