Recreating a soap, advice on oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SebonDraig

Reaction score
Hi
I recently bought a soap made from donkey milk in France. I love it and would like to recreate and use goats milk instead. Its main oil is Palm oil I think, this is obviously a controversial oil and wondered if there is a true alternative to it? I have the ingredients list and would like advice on perhaps the best percentages of each ingredients to use for the soap.

Sodium Palmate
Sodium Palm Kernelate
Water
Fragrance
Palm Kernel Acid
Coconut oil
Donkey milk
Glycerin
Salt

I have made soaps previously but have never been impressed with how they feel on my skin. The fragrance of the soaps I recently bought are so strong its lovely.

Have you made/used a goat milk soap before? I wonder if the reason you like the soap is because it's the first 'milk' soap you have used? In which case you will probably love th goat milk as much as the donkey milk.
As far as Palm oil being controversial - this appears to be more of a UK, Europe, Aussie and Kiwi thing, but not so much a USA thing. You can't really re-create a soap which has palm oil and palm kernel oil as the two main ingredients unless you use the same two ingredients. I would say it's probably an 80/20 percentage. Not sure why they also put coconut oil in there, but if there's less than the FO, it's possibly something they added after trace, or during the milling process (if milled) and they would have only used about 2 - 3 %.
My soap is entirely palm-free and I make up the lost palmitic fatty acid component by increasing my stearic component through using butters and soy wax. And then the liquid oils I choose for their higher palmitic components - such as RBO and Avocado oil.

Palm is very controversial in some areas of the USA, and not at all in other places. It tends to correlate with the prevalence of veganism, which is also quite a localized issue here.

If you don’t need the bar to be vegan, lard is the closest 1:1 replacement for palm oil. Coconut oil is the closest 1:1 replacement for palm kernel oil.

One of my favorite recipes is 75% lard, 20% coconut oil, and 5% castor oil. I superfat at 3% and add sorbitol (or plain sugar) plus powdered goat milk, both at 2% of the total weight of fats/oils. After an 8 week cure, this bat BAR has a lovely soft and creamy lather with good bubbles. You can scent it any way you’d like. Give it a try!

Last edited:
Palm is very controversial in some areas of the USA, and not at all in other places. It tends to correlate with the prevalence of veganism, which is also quite a localized issue here.

If you don’t need the bar to be vegan, lard is the closest 1:1 replacement for palm oil. Coconut oil is the closest 1:1 replacement for palm kernel oil.

After an 8 week cure, this bat has a lovely soft and creamy lather with good bubbles.
AliOop, don't think I want to wash with a bat that has a soft and creamy lather and bubbles . lol The mind boggles . hehe

Oh @Relle come on, where is your sense of adventure?😁
Ok, I will if you will. No, I thought about it, I won't, I got pooed on by a bat in the rainforest in far north queensland years ago and it took weeks to get the smell out of my clothes - yuk.
My sister use to look after injured bats and when she did her washing, she would hang the bats on the clothes line, but she didn't wash them. lol

Ok, I will if you will. No, I thought about it, I won't, I got pooed on by a bat in the rainforest in far north queensland years ago and it took weeks to get the smell out of my clothes - yuk.
My sister use to look after injured bats and when she did her washing, she would hang the bats on the clothes line, but she didn't wash them. lol
So, no bats in the belfry, just on the clothesline? 😁 Well, now that you mentioned bat poo, we can agree, no bats in the shower, either.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back