Record keeping and notations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a spreadsheet the first year I soaped with my "recipes". I used Soap Calc for the SAP numbers and set up the formulas so my spreadsheet has my total recipe including lye calculation. It only uses about 10 lines on a worksheet and then I can add info on fragrance/additives issues for that batch. I print that batch formulation each time I make soap. I update the spreadsheet with the notes I made when making the soap so I don't keep paper. I copy/paste that recipe to the next 10 lines and then make changes for the next batch. I added a summary worksheet that has soap name, date made, number of bars, cure date, and then checks on when beveled and labeled. At the end of the year I have one file with a summary of all batches for the year and a worksheet with all batch's formulations as well as notes.

I print my labels within a few days of making the soap and leave them with the soap on the curing rack. I added a text box for the date made to the label in a spot where it will be hidden when I wrap the cigar band around the soap. With the date and name I can always get back to my history spreadsheet for more information on the batch.

I would expect no less from a cyborg - oh I mean Pieborg.;)
Sounds a lot like the SoapMaker program, which I believe is a database program
If you have the slightest familiarity with computer programming, and if you're using a Windows operating system with MS Office, you can use MS Access to design the most wang-dang record keeping system imaginable. In one fairly small file, I have detailed records of purchases (equipment, materials, ingredients, etc.), from which, inventory and costs are easily managed, as well as an extremely flexible recipe calculator. In addition to doing all the math for me, the recipe calculator has a place for recording all the details about each batch, including an expandable memo field, so I can go back anytime and add notes, reviews from testers, etc. The whole thing is also searchable, and will collate your info any way you want. If I ever decide to sell, I can easily add customer and sales info, shipping rates -- whatever would make life easier. For now, I'm just using it to fine tune recipes, which I then print out and take to my soaping area. I write notes on the printout and enter them into the program when I'm all done soaping.

It was a little effort to set it up, but now record keeping is another fun part of soaping. I especially like playing with the recipe calculator. It's easy to add onto or change the system as needed, which I really like. But then, I'm a little nerdy that way. I realize most soapmakers, (or most *people*, for that matter) would probably rather not build their own software. If you're up to it, though, DIY is the way to go.
Sounds a lot like the SoapMaker3, which I believe is a database program.

I was hoping people would share some information on how you keep records for the soaps you are making. It is something that I struggle with. I tried to develop a number system for my recipes but I keep running into problems and then I change it. Then I have to go back and update previous batches with the new codes.

I really want to see examples of how others keep organized.

I'm with @jereygirl...I'm a bit more than anal when it comes to organization. I have what is called my 'signature' soap - many soaps fall under that category - base oils are the same but colour, scent and additives change. I have a binder and keep the base recipe in it for each different vessel (10" loaf; tall skinny; cylinder; dinosaur mold, etc) then after that I have a detailed sheet for each specific soap outinging recipe type (signature, specialty, kids, seasonal, etc);mold used; liquid used; additives; colour, fragrance; design and notes. My so-called 'specialty' soaps are kept in the same binder and include the specific recipe with a page detailing same as noted above. Pic is for a specialty soap but the idea applies to all soaps. When I remake a batch I note that on the page and include any changes to ingredients etc.
I also have a spreadsheet showing each soap as i make then indicating date made and date cured which helps me to know when to transfer to my business inventory, etc. The 2nd pic is a spreadsheet showing all soaps split by category with every indgredient used in each - this helps me when inputting information into the Health Canada site. Hope this gives you some ideas.

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

I tried signing up on soapinventory.com and it directs you to My Work Project which charges $20 per year. Not a lot of money but not free.
How strange! I hadn't signed in for awhile, but just checked, and I was not redirected at all. However, I also wasn't able to sign in. I'm guessing the site is undergoing some maintenance. I'm not sure if Dean Wilson is a member of this group, but you can find him on FB and on his YT channel. I believe his business name is "Sentinel Soap." He's pretty responsive to inquiries.

Meanwhile, you can try soapmakingfriend.com. It may not be as robust as you need, but it is free, and it does track inventory, stock, and recipes.

ETA: I just did the password reset and was able to sign in on SoapInventory.com. No redirect and no fee.

I name all my recipes and keep them in a binder with plastic covers. They have fun names like CP1, SAO harder, or GV Shea. When I make a batch I note the date, FO and recipe. I should probably list micas etc. If I use a milk I note that. I don’t sell so if I miss ingredients it isn‘t a biggy.
I have written notations on the recipes for additional liquid for MB lye And total weights so I can divide it out.

I created a spreadsheet on Google Drive. I have columns for many variables. Examples include date, base oils, SF, water discount, additives, methodology (HP, CP, etc), special notes.

To keep things uncluttered, I have named recipes that I reuse as a base with multiple variations. I convert the name to a hyperlink for the full recipe details.

To trace repeat batches, I customize recurring name by adding the unique date of making the batch like '21han24Castile'.

I use an app, My Recipe Keeper. Photos, notes, etc all on my phone, iPad and computer.

Latest posts

Back