Recommended Fragrance Usage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a question for fellow soap makers. So when I run my values through soap calc the recommended fragrance usage is usually around 2 oz based on my recipe. But when I've used fragrance calculators by various fragrance vendors the amount they recommend is almost 3 times the amount that soap calc indicates. So if soap calc says 2oz, the same batch size with WSP is 6.6 oz of fragrance. That just seems really excessive. Nurture Soap fragrance calculater came back with a range between 3.3 and 6.66. Now to be honest I've never used 6.66 oz of fragrance in my recipe ever. Even with my using 2.0 oz of fragrance it is quite sufficient and holds up well in soap. I suppose I might just be overly sensitive to scents but 6.66 seems like I would be swimming in fragrance. Has anyone used the actual recommended amounts by the vendors?
If so do you find it to be overwhelming?

Now one thing I do with my fragrances is I set them in Kaolin clay 24 hours before I make a batch so perhaps that is why the scent holds up and seems plenty strong. Just wondering what others have experienced.

Just a question for fellow soap makers. So when I run my values through soap calc the recommended fragrance usage is usually around 2 oz based on my recipe. But when I've used fragrance calculators by various fragrance vendors the amount they recommend is almost 3 times the amount that soap calc indicates. So if soap calc says 2oz, the same batch size with WSP is 6.6 oz of fragrance. That just seems really excessive. Nurture Soap fragrance calculater came back with a range between 3.3 and 6.66. Now to be honest I've never used 6.66 oz of fragrance in my recipe ever. Even with my using 2.0 oz of fragrance it is quite sufficient and holds up well in soap. I suppose I might just be overly sensitive to scents but 6.66 seems like I would be swimming in fragrance. Has anyone used the actual recommended amounts by the vendors?
If so do you find it to be overwhelming?

Now one thing I do with my fragrances is I set them in Kaolin clay 24 hours before I make a batch so perhaps that is why the scent holds up and seems plenty strong. Just wondering what others have experienced.
How big is your batch?

Total weight is 111.25 oz. But this isn't really me asking how much to use, it's more about if you use the recommended amount what your experiences are. I just feel like using the recommended amount from the vendors seems very high.

I don’t use soap calc so can’t speak to that but I add 1 oz ppo or about 6%. With a few exceptions that I use .5-.7. Depends on how strong the fragrance is. I don’t buy fragrances for the most part Thant can’t be used under 6%. I use WSP soap calculator quite frequently. And it doesn’t have a recommended amount that I recall. I enter what I want to use.

As long as you aren't exceeding the manufacter's skin-safe usage rate for that FO in CP soap, then you can use as much or as little as you'd like. It really is a personal preference. I tend to go lighter because I'm sensitive to smells. Also, I don't sell, so that means my fragrances do not need to last as long others, who have to take into consideration the possibility that the buyer might not use the soap for awhile.

ETA: it is good to remember that the soap calculator knows nothing about your specific fragrance, so the 3% is kind of like the default water setting. In other words, it is simply a starting point, and not a recommendation or guideline for an appropriate amount for your particular soap recipe, FO, etc.

Last edited:
Most fragrance suppliers either list the maximum percentage or have a fragrance calculator from which one can estimate the maximum percentage. I take some cue from that, but I also read the reviews on it and judge from the OOB throw (how far from the bottle I can smell the fragrance) as well. Once I decide what percentage I want to try, I often use the setting in the Soapcalc to help me measure because I am lazy.

SoapCalc has a default of 0.5 oz PPO. Unless you have a really strong FO or are very sensitive to smells, it really should 1oz PPO. I’m basing this on having tried over a hundred different FOs and EOs from different soap suppliers in the past year. It would be really nice if 1/2 oz PPO worked...we’d all save a ton of money. Can’t tell how many times I’ve watched one soaper who makes large slabs, dump and entire large bottle of scent into her soap and I could hear the kaching, kaching.

Some fragrances do not hold up through the cure, so using a higher percentage is one way to try and get the scent to last longer. I don't really know if it's worth it (the money) to add more of a short-lived fragrance, though. I think not. Once identified as a short-lived fragrance, IMO it is not a good choice for re-stocking.

Some fragrances seem to disappear, but come back once the soap is in use (wet). I don't have a lot of experience with those, but people do talk about some that are like that. I did once buy a soap that was like that; not much to smell dry, but the fragrance blossomed while bathing. It was like magic, I thought at the time. But I suppose there is some science involved. ;)

Some fragrances hold up very well and last for a very long long time; some even last through the life of the soap. Does the amount used impact their longevity? I don't know, but tend to think not really. I do believe it impacts the intensity, however.

Using more or less (but still within the manufacturer's safe usage limits & taking into account any IFRA precautions) is usually just a personal preference.

Me, if I LOVE a particular fragrance, I do like to use more of it in the soap I am going to use, simply because I love it; not because I think it will make it last longer, but because I want to bask in the fragrance.

If I don't like the fragrance and I use the higher amount, the intensity is so strong I can get a headache and have to hide those ones away until I can gift them to someone who does like the scent.

Some fragrances do not hold up through the cure, so using a higher percentage is one way to try and get the scent to last longer. I don't really know if it's worth it (the money) to add more of a short-lived fragrance, though. I think not. Once identified as a short-lived fragrance, IMO it is not a good choice for re-stocking.

I agree. FOs aren’t cheap to begin with and then you have to hope that the customer uses the soap right away.

Some fragrances hold up very well and last for a very long long time; some even last through the life of the soap. Does the amount used impact their longevity? I don't know, but tend to think not really. I do believe it impacts the intensity, however.

I have a couple of FOs that were great OOB, then smelt so bad after I unmolded...a harsh chemical smell...that I thought I wouldn’t even be able to donate them. But I left them both sitting on the back shelf for the last few once (one had developed ash). I pulled them out yesterday because I really needed the shelf room and O. M. G. I wanted to take them to bed with me and put them under my pillow! The soap with the ash...the ash was really sticky, but what I could rub off I turned to the planer. The soap was really hard and I got a marbling effect. I have no doubt that these will smell wonderful after a year...and I used just 1 oz PPO.

Me, if I LOVE a particular fragrance, I do like to use more of it in the soap I am going to use, simply because I love it; not because I think it will make it last longer, but because I want to bask in the fragrance.

I have to be careful about that because as much as I want to “bask in the fragrance” as you say, I don’t want to smell like it all day

If I don't like the fragrance and I use the higher amount, the intensity is so strong I can get a headache and have to hide those ones away until I can gift them to someone who does like the scent.

Lavender. I’m allergic to it...gives me massive headaches, but folks expect a Lavender Soap. But I found one that I can tolerate at 1 oz PPO that is pleasing.

Now I just need to find a decent Black Raspberry Vanilla

I'm just speculating here... but perhaps one of the reasons soap calcs values are lower could be to accommodate EU soapmakers who have to adhere to very strict standards. In the EU, the maximum usage rate for FOs is 3%.

Last edited:
@CatahoulaBubble - You can adjust the amount of fragrance you want in Soap Calc. So just change it from the default to whatever you want (within safe guidelines of course)

I always used 3% before I realised that most people on here use more than that - so now I use more like around 4.5% and I'm very happy with my smellier soaps : )

@TheGecko Peak's BRV to me is the best. I've tried a bunch and that was my favorite. Keystone Candle carries it now but I've not used theirs. My understanding is they purchased the codes from Peak. It behaves and sticks well for me. Though unfortunately, it's not a big seller for me except at one show.

Seems high but then again that's a big batch of soap. I go by recommended amounts of manufacturer. I used nature's garden and they tell how much. I've started using EO now and I'm going too light i think but I don't want it to bother people's skin if they're sensitive.

Back