Recommendations for true sea salt/marine FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbird0328

Reaction score
Hello! I am looking for a sea salt/marine FO that does not smell like laundry detergent or too perfume-y. Something more realistic and nature-like. OR if someone has some FO blends to suggest, I am up for that too. Thank you!

Welcome Blackbird! I personally love Salty Sailor FO from Daystar. It's a favorite amongst my family and friends. I refer to it as 'Cape Cod in a bottle'. To our noses, it does not smell perfume-y or anything like laundry detergent. It just smells like fresh, pure salty air. In one of my batches of soap made with it, I added a little kelp to the batter, which added a bit of a pleasant seaweed note along with the salt for a very realistic, aromatic seaside experience when the soap was new. Unfortunately, months down the road over time, the kelp morphed and my soap took on a fishy, lowtide smell, which was not pleasant. Next time I decide to use kelp, I'll make a smaller batch that will get used up quickly before the tide goes back out. lol

IrishLass :)

Welcome Blackbird! I personally love Salty Sailor FO from Daystar. It's a favorite amongst my family and friends. I refer to it as 'Cape Cod in a bottle'. To our noses, it does not smell perfume-y or anything like laundry detergent. It just smells like fresh, pure salty air. In one of my batches of soap made with it, I added a little kelp to the batter, which added a bit of a pleasant seaweed note along with the salt for a very realistic, aromatic seaside experience when the soap was new. Unfortunately, months down the road over time, the kelp morphed and my soap took on a fishy, lowtide smell, which was not pleasant. Next time I decide to use kelp, I'll make a smaller batch that will get used up quickly before the tide goes back out. lol

Lol...Low Tide...picturing that on a soap label! :p Kicking myself for not ordering some Salty Sailor when I got the Milk Sugar Kisses for your OMH blend.

Welcome to the forum. Have you check the Fragrance Review section here? You may find something there.
Thank you! Yes, I checked the fragrance review page, but was not finding the exact notes I was looking for. :)

I was looking at that one pretty hard! Glad to hear it is "true to life". Sounds like that may be my choice. My fave scents are earth and nature inspired ones. :)

I like the Salty Sailor from Daystar too, I use my homemade celery salt in salt bars with it for a similar effect as IrishLass, it added a bit more “green” to the notes. I love it.

Latest posts

Back