Recommendations for smart phone case

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Normally I buy "no scream" phones = cheap used ones that don't make you scream in terror when you drop it. And I refuse to become one of those maniacs that scream at their child when they drop an $800 toy.

However, I'm finding the "need" for more current phone with better speeds, processor and camera (waze and gps) so I forked over a little more money for a refurbed Samsung galaxy s5 .

I drop my phones. On bricks. Pavement. Tile.

Is Otterbox the best case for a galaxy? Will I still need a glass screen protector?

I love my otterbox. I usually get the one that is the step down from the construction worker grade. The case is expensive, but, I've never broken a phone. And I've dropped it more time than I can count. Onto concrete, while bike riding.

Normally I buy "no scream" phones = cheap used ones that don't make you scream in terror when you drop it. And I refuse to become one of those maniacs that scream at their child when they drop an $800 toy.

However, I'm finding the "need" for more current phone with better speeds, processor and camera (waze and gps) so I forked over a little more money for a refurbed Samsung galaxy s5 .

Is Otterbox the best case for a galaxy? Will I still need a glass screen protector?

Otterbox cases are great. I've had my phone fly off my bike and skip across pavement, drove over my phone and not a scratch . I have a note 4 and I am very hard on phones, I think you'd be happy with one. Phones are made with gorilla glass by corning now and it's very strong. I used to use shields but I no longer do and I don't have any scratches. Google gorilla glass and make your decision. Plus the Otterbox case stands a little above screen and that helps.

I honestly don't know. I caved and got an s5 myself. I'm slowly getting irked with why I left android to begin with (I need to have my data on to send pic messages?) If windows doesn't do better in the year to come, I might get an iPhone next time and I HATE those phones. I forgot to add: the glass is definitely a good perk if you get a good one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IGISUTG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01 I got this one and so far, I'm impressed. I may never use any other type of screen protector again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Otterboxes are good for dropping, but I swapped mine out for a Lifeproof because I also needed waterproofiness. I've come to appreciate the lack of bulk on the lifeproof as compared to the otterbox, and you can find them on Amazon.

Edit to Add: The Lifeproof "Fre" is the waterproof one - like here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2TD6KU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I heart otterbox. My mom accidentally left her phone on to of the car - when she stopped at a light it flew off and hit the road! It was fine in its Otterbox.

My dad got a Lifeproof box. Didn't like it. It made his phone make a weird squealing noise sometimes.

they had this new safety screen protector that when you drop your phone the screen protector cracks and your screen does not. In the past I scratched my phone screen with my finger nail swiping, and even though screens might be sturdier today, I don't want to run that risk again. These new screen protectors which I got from my Sprint store are a lifesaver for me. And yes, the OtterBox should work great for your Samsung.

Hubs is a huge fan of Otterbox (I think he always gets the Defender series). He tends to be rough with his phone, and the case keeps it in fabulous condition. They come with screen protectors.

I've used Otterbox cases for like 7 years now with nary a scratch to my phones. Except that time my phone fell off my lap while I was closing the car door. FYI, Otterbox can not protect your phone if you try to slam it in a car door. I still love them though.

I have an Otterbox on my S5. I have dropped it several times with no issues. The s5 are water resistant, BTW, so should survive a short dunking in a tub, sink, toilet. I think it is rated for like half an hour at 10 meters.

I honestly don't know. I caved and got an s5 myself. I'm slowly getting irked with why I left android to begin with (I need to have my data on to send pic messages?) If windows doesn't do better in the year to come, I might get an iPhone next time and I HATE those phones.

FYI, the next version of android is supposed to fix the problem with microSD storage - making the card space available like it is internal memory. SD memory is not as fast as internal - but for most of us that does not matter.

I have an Otterbox on my S5. I have dropped it several times with no issues. The s5 are water resistant, BTW, so should survive a short dunking in a tub, sink, toilet. I think it is rated for like half an hour at 10 meters.

FYI, the next version of android is supposed to fix the problem with microSD storage - making the card space available like it is internal memory. SD memory is not as fast as internal - but for most of us that does not matter.

That's nice but the microSD card wasn't my issue (finding my dropbox pw is). I chose the phone because I can live with an older android and I wanted a sturdier phone. Price is also an issue.

Otterboxes are good for dropping, but I swapped mine out for a Lifeproof because I also needed waterproofiness. I've come to appreciate the lack of bulk on the lifeproof as compared to the otterbox, and you can find them on Amazon.

Edit to Add: The Lifeproof "Fre" is the waterproof one - like here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2TD6KU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'd love waterproof, but I worry about the screens sensitivity. Do you have problems with that? After I got this phone I cancelled my computers Internet. I use it for everything. So if the waterproof screen is too bulky I'm afraid it would hinder my typing.

These are the only cases I buy anymore. I get the tough cases and, unlike an otterbox imo, doesn't add much bulk.

The one I had for over a year still only had minimal signs of wear despite my 4 and 2 year old girls. No cracks or chips, just little scratches from hitting the ground and dulled paint from being put in my pocket.

I had on one a Galaxy S2 and when I traded that phone in for my new Galaxy Note 5 it still looked out-of-the-box new.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/playonpatterns

Last edited:
I'd love waterproof, but I worry about the screens sensitivity. Do you have problems with that? After I got this phone I cancelled my computers Internet. I use it for everything. So if the waterproof screen is too bulky I'm afraid it would hinder my typing.

no it really doesnt affect the screen sensitivity that I have found (Im on an iPhone). It did mess up my camera once, but thats cause there was some dog hair in there... Im actually pretty surprised at how well it works, even the thumbprint login.

These are the only cases I buy anymore. I get the tough cases and, unlike an otterbox imo, doesn't add much bulk.

The one I had for over a year still only had minimal signs of wear despite my 4 and 2 year old girls. No cracks or chips, just little scratches from hitting the ground and dulled paint from being put in my pocket.

I had on one a Galaxy S2 and when I traded that phone in for my new Galaxy Note 5 it still looked out-of-the-box new.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/playonpatterns

They're in my neck of the woods! They don't give any information on how the case performs though.

no it really doesnt affect the screen sensitivity that I have found (Im on an iPhone). It did mess up my camera once, but thats cause there was some dog hair in there... Im actually pretty surprised at how well it works, even the thumbprint login.
Good to know, thanks

Thank you all for your help. Looks like Otterbox is the best bang for the buck right now.

Now I need to get a backup battery or charger or...whatever. I can't charge my phone in the car.

Shoot shoot shoot and double darn! I just realized how un-removeable an otterbox is!
I'm not a heavy phone use mostly texts and calls, no streaming, gaming and a little data use for gps or what not but I know the S5's is a power hog. I was counting on keeping an extra charged battery for emergency use.

Is there a ...whatchamacallit...a little device that can add charge to your phone? I've heard iPhone people talk about carrying one in their pocket at work.

Last edited:
My s5 will last all day on a charge, and I am a pretty heavy user.

There all kinds of external battery packs out there. I have one because I have never found extra batteries ar an affordable price.

I also can have my otterbox off in about 10 seconds. They are not that hard to remove.

Latest posts

Back