Recommendation, please, for FO that smells like Irish Spring...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimW

Reaction score
Hubby needs a very aromatic soap for deer and critter deterrents for his Hazel Nut Tree "fledglings", and Irish Spring has always worked. He's wondering if I can make him some "stinky soap" since soaps are strangely still in short supply here. I don't use FOs, so I have no idea where to start! TIA :)

WSP has an Irish Spring dupe. Haven't used it, but remember someone else posting about it in another thread a while back. :) ETA: Sweetcakes.com also has one, but there are no ratings shown, and no usage notes for CP.

Hubby needs a very aromatic soap for deer and critter deterrents for his Hazel Nut Tree "fledglings", and Irish Spring has always worked. He's wondering if I can make him some "stinky soap" since soaps are strangely still in short supply here. I don't use FOs, so I have no idea where to start! TIA :)
Do you have a Costco nearby? They sell huge packs of Irish Spring that are super cheap. I have not noticed any shortage at our Costco. It would be much cheaper for what you want it for than making your own.

Do you have a Costco nearby? They sell huge packs of Irish Spring that are super cheap. I have not noticed any shortage at our Costco. It would be much cheaper for what you want it for than making your own.
Good thought, but nearest Costco is two hours one-way. :)

Has he tried deer repellent spray? I use one made with rotten eggs and man, its stinks but it works great.
He does use deer repellent spray when it's dry out. The only problem is that it must be reapplied after a good rain or snow...which get a lot of!

WSP has an Irish Spring dupe. Haven't used it, but remember someone else posting about it in another thread a while back. :) ETA: Sweetcakes.com also has one, but there are no ratings shown, and no usage notes for CP.
Ah-ha! Thank you! I will look for that thread and checkout both suppliers you listed. Wahoo - let the stink begin!

I’m surprised soap works. Try coyote urine.
blahahahahaha! We do have plenty of coyotes. I have told him before that if he just went out and tinkled on them once a week that would probably do it. I think the only reason he doesn't is because of the smell. Coyotes....blahahahaha!

blahahahahaha! We do have plenty of coyotes. I have told him before that if he just went out and tinkled on them once a week that would probably do it. I think the only reason he doesn't is because of the smell. Coyotes....blahahahaha!

Seriously, they sell bottles of coyote and woof urine.

I bought the sweet cakes dupe a few years ago. No one has complained about any skin issues with a 6% useage rate. My stomach on the other hand.... out of bottle is STRONG. It gave me migraines or made me want to vomit, the aversion is bad enough that I got nauseous packaging the cured soap. Your hubby may have luck with a essential oil bottle of the stuff with the lid off, that’s how strong I feel it is. At the same time, diluting some with alcohol in a spritzer bottle should work if you don’t want to wait out cure time

I have never cared for the smell of Irish Spring soap, so I don't have any recommendations for you. I have used other Sweet Cakes FOs though, and have been happy with them. I contacted SC about usage rates for the ones I regularly use, and all were at least 6%, so I kind of feel like they have that as a standard.

My husband use to use Irish Spring and when I really got into soap making he requested a soap that smelled like it. After making a few different ones for him, he said that the Chemistry Store in SC has a FO called Linen and Lavender that smells the closest to Irish Spring.

Back