Recommendation Needed : Masculine Scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In reference to -the first batch that cured faster than the four week time frame due to being processed in individual cavity molds while also using Sodium Lactate. Five weeks will be the cure time now since I started loaf molding, and the first batch of that will be due in 3 weeks. Dropping the Sodium Lactate will drag out cure time as well.
CURIOUS...how does individual mold vs loaf mold affect your curing time? I dont think this makes a difference in cure time, the loaf is cutting intosingle bars....

Re-read the post. I have some little old ladies (85 y/o) that already love the first batch that cured faster than the four week time frame due to being processed in individual cavity molds while also using Sodium Lactate. Five weeks will be the cure time now since I started loaf molding, and the first batch of that will be due in 3 weeks. Dropping the Sodium Lactate will drag out cure time as well.

Regardless of whether you think, or I think, I am ready I am already selling locally and primarily as a hobby. Selling to folks I know (friends, family, etc). The people handing the money over for the soap do so to cover my costs (I am not making any real profit and don't want to). I am using some pretty tried and true recipes. Nothing that unusual here. FO IFRA usage max rate and manufacturer recommendations are strictly followed, and the formulas are older than we are.

The real measure is this: the people paying for the soap are happy, I am happy to have a new hobby, and I won't let a soap go until I test it first on me. I am more likely to GIVE away a bar than to sell it right now since I am perfecting my formula.

I appreciate the guidance and concern, but I am not starting a soap making business. This is a "large hobby" if anything.

It's interesting that when you spray a perfume on, after a while you can no longer smell the purfume. So, if we really can't smell ourselves wearing a scent, then why wear it? It's for the other person. And, when you go to the fragrance counter the purfume bottles are marketed for women or men. I always think men must like smelling floral fragrances... and women must like woodsy fragrances... because these companies have researched and developed scents that are attractive to the opposite gender. I , personally, like to think that it just depends on the person. However, clove is a scent we hear guys asking about.

In reference to -the first batch that cured faster than the four week time frame due to being processed in individual cavity molds while also using Sodium Lactate. Five weeks will be the cure time now since I started loaf molding, and the first batch of that will be due in 3 weeks. Dropping the Sodium Lactate will drag out cure time as well.
CURIOUS...how does individual mold vs loaf mold affect your curing time? I dont think this makes a difference in cure time, the loaf is cutting intosingle bars....
Missed your question the first time around!

Honestly, I cannot figure it out. Nevertheless, that is what happened. It might have had something to do with the Sodium Lactate I was using at the time as well.

Just for continuity, I am keeping cure times at a steady 5 weeks regardless. I dropped Sodium Lactate for the time being. If I do ever re-introduce it, it will be at 1/2 strength...in other words 1tsp for 2lbs of oil rather than 1tsp per pound which is the recommended usage.

Last edited:
It's interesting that when you spray a perfume on, after a while you can no longer smell the purfume. So, if we really can't smell ourselves wearing a scent, then why wear it? It's for the other person. And, when you go to the fragrance counter the purfume bottles are marketed for women or men. I always think men must like smelling floral fragrances... and women must like woodsy fragrances... because these companies have researched and developed scents that are attractive to the opposite gender. I , personally, like to think that it just depends on the person. However, clove is a scent we hear guys asking about.
Very good point. However, that does not totally line up with male to male and female to female attraction. So, this is more complex than gender per se. It could be preconceived notions of gender that also play into it.

I have mixed equal parts Sandalwood and Frankincense, and found it to be a good scent for guys.
I might be willing to try this and see what people think, but quite frankly I find Frankincense so repulsive that I cannot bear to be around it.

I'm an old fart and probably a bit opinionated on this, but as far as I'm concerned, all too many women (especially older women) seem to think that by putting on perfume by the gallon, they can avoid taking a shower in the morning. Their sense of smell has disappeared and they have no idea how repulsive that smell is to people. I have avoided many elevators that had women in it that apparently used perfume by the gallon. There is ONE perfume that a woman had on back in the '70s that I thought was acceptable. It had a very light flavor and was not flowery. I have no idea what it was and have not smelled it on any woman since then. EVERY other perfume, I find disgusting. The best smell on any woman is just being CLEAN with a normal deodorant soap. I would hazard to guess that the same goes for guys.

Re-read the post. I have some little old ladies (85 y/o) that already love the first batch that cured faster than the four week time frame due to being processed in individual cavity molds while also using Sodium Lactate. Five weeks will be the cure time now since I started loaf molding, and the first batch of that will be due in 3 weeks. Dropping the Sodium Lactate will drag out cure time as well.

Regardless of whether you think, or I think, I am ready I am already selling locally and primarily as a hobby. Selling to folks I know (friends, family, etc). The people handing the money over for the soap do so to cover my costs (I am not making any real profit and don't want to). I am using some pretty tried and true recipes. Nothing that unusual here. FO IFRA usage max rate and manufacturer recommendations are strictly followed, and the formulas are older than we are.

The real measure is this: the people paying for the soap are happy, I am happy to have a new hobby, and I won't let a soap go until I test it first on me. I am more likely to GIVE away a bar than to sell it right now since I am perfecting my formula.

I appreciate the guidance and concern, but I am not starting a soap making business. This is a "large hobby" if anything.
I do apologize, I must have had a "senior" moment and misread. I do that once in a while. :eek:

Very good point. However, that does not totally line up with male to male and female to female attraction. So, this is more complex than gender per se. It could be preconceived notions of gender that also play into it.
It just depends on the person.

I'm an old fart and probably a bit opinionated on this, but as far as I'm concerned, all too many women (especially older women) seem to think that by putting on perfume by the gallon, they can avoid taking a shower in the morning. Their sense of smell has disappeared and they have no idea how repulsive that smell is to people. I have avoided many elevators that had women in it that apparently used perfume by the gallon. There is ONE perfume that a woman had on back in the '70s that I thought was acceptable. It had a very light flavor and was not flowery. I have no idea what it was and have not smelled it on any woman since then. EVERY other perfume, I find disgusting. The best smell on any woman is just being CLEAN with a normal deodorant soap. I would hazard to guess that the same goes for guys.
Clean is always welcomed.

Latest posts

Back