Recommendation for heat proof plastic container?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheilaohga

Reaction score
Hi, I recently shattered 2 of my pyrex glass jar when making lye water.
So I want to try with plastic.
I was being careful when mixing the two but after my second break, I don't want to use the glassware anymore.

Can you recommend good plastic that can withstand harsh lye water without warping the plastic container?
I usually make 50 oz batches so the container shouldn't be too small.

Thank you.

Anything made of PP#5 plastic (i.e., polypropylene with the recycle code of 5 stamped on the bottom) stands up quite nicely to lye. It is both heat resistant and lye safe. That's what most of us use. Other good lye mixing containers that some soapers use are those made of quality stainless steel and also Nalgene. I myself use a plastic Rubbermaid pitcher made of PP#5 plastic that one can find at any retail or grocery store or dollar store.

I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way that Pyrex/glass is a no-no when it comes to mixing lye solutions. But at least now you know! :)

IrishLass :)

Edited to add a picture of what I use: http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/classic-pitchers

Hi, I recently shattered 2 of my pyrex glass jar when making lye water.

I'm guessing you live in North America where Pyrex is made by the World Kitchen company and composed of soda-lime glass. It's sad when company's cheap out just because it's North America. I guess here we can just accept crap more easily.

Those in Europe can use Pyrex for lye mixing just fine, as well as freezing then suddenly grilling over an open campfire. In that side of the world Pyrex baking and cooking glassware is made of borosilicate and made by Arc. It's real lab quality corning 7740 that we used in biology and chemistry class.

Apparently Pyrex marketing determined that lowering quality to save costs and increase margins would be more acceptable in North American markets, so that's what they did. Ummm.....??? :silent:

I'm guessing you live in North America where Pyrex is made by the World Kitchen company and composed of soda-lime glass.
I knew in the US they had gone to soda-lime... I did not know the rest of the world was still getting the good stuff. Grrrrrrrr. That irritates me. I should be less irritable. It looks like one can still buy borosilicate in the US, but from another company : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FYRP2G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew in the US they had gone to soda-lime... I did not know the rest of the world was still getting the good stuff. Grrrrrrrr. That irritates me. I should be less irritable.

Could you tell I was just on the edge from going on a serious rant? :crazy:

This whole thing irritates me. Throughout a good part of my life Pyrex=borosilicate. And without a public announcement, they suddenly change for North America only and people who are used to using Pyrex for certain applications get a surprise! I'm surprised there aren't lawsuits happening frankly.

Last edited:
I knew in the US they had gone to soda-lime... I did not know the rest of the world was still getting the good stuff. Grrrrrrrr. QUOTE]

Doesn't look like we are getting it here. I bought a pyrex measuring cup last year and it had the green tinge to it which means it's the soda lime going by the link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex

Anyway, I'll stick to plastic to be safe.

Plus if you drop an empty plastic container on your kitchen's ceramic floor it's only an inconvenience because you have to bend over to pick it up. Drop a heavy glass container and it's more of a disaster.

I use the plastic pitchers from the dollar tree, they hold up just fine
Those 99 cent store pitchers bend and spill to easily. At a soap get together I attend periodically I have mentioned the fact and of course go mostly ignored well the last time I went a gal spilled hers and had raw soap all over the table. I hate those cheapo measuring pitches. Paint mixing buckets are much more stable.

Should I not tell y'all that I still have some of the old borosilicate Pyrex measuring cups? I inherited my parents', and my hubby had some from way back when. However, plastic is so much lighter, and easily replaceable.
LOL, so do I and I cherish them. I also have several of the old borosilicate glass saucepans. Got rid of the glass fry pans years ago and kinda wish I still had them. I use 1 and 2 gallon hdpe buckets for mixing

Those 99 cent store pitchers bend and spill to easily. At a soap get together I attend periodically I have mentioned the fact and of course go mostly ignored well the last time I went a gal spilled hers and had raw soap all over the table. I hate those cheapo measuring pitches. Paint mixing buckets are much more stable.

LOL, so do I and I cherish them. I also have several of the old borosilicate glass saucepans. Got rid of the glass fry pans years ago and kinda wish I still had them. I use 1 and 2 gallon hdpe buckets for mixing

I miss my old sauce and frying pan. The sauce pan was the last to go a few years ago. It went out with a bang (right on the floor) and was well loved for many years.

Thank you all for the replies.
Now I will go for plastic and never use the glass again!!
I thought Pyrex was Pyrex (my mom still uses hers after 30 years) but now I know..
So shocked I jumped back when that glass just POOFED and turned to bits and pieces. Thank goodness I was wearing my glove and my goggles.

Thank you!

I have the plastic pail which I got my coconut oil from and it is HDPE 2.
Can I use this for the lye water?

Latest posts

Back