Recommendation for good notebook

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting another class soon and would like to find a high quality paper notebook. I can't stand the cheap sold at Target (I'll be taking some serious notes with pics using a variety of pens, colors)

NO to three ring binders! I want a spiral or book type binding that can lay flat with thick pages that don't bleed through. Smooth paper that takes ink well and comes in wide rule ( have large handwriting)

On a side note: I'm wondering about investing in a tablet with pencil feature. I'm not techie and love notes on paper, but this is an intense physiology class; I'll be recording the lecture. I've heard there's an app that can record and "type" the words???

I always use the cheapest I can find at Walmart, with bonus points for grabbing a few after they go on clearance next month (which I know might be too late for the question at hand). The brand I have sitting next to me is “pen + gear,” it’s wide rule and seems to work pretty well for me. I usually just use plan black/blue ink. If you needed to tear out a page the perforations are pretty good for less than 5 pages at a time.

There are apps that can take dictation but I’ve never looked into them. I used to know someone who had a disability who swore by ”dragon naturally speaking” for her more intense typing days.

I wouldn’t reccoment a stylus and tablet 7nless you were already familiar with them. In my (brief) experience you need to keep constant pressure on the stylus or it might not register any writing. It also doesn’t translate cursive very well (I use cursive when I have to write a lot). I’ll also note that the last time I used a stylus and tablet for writing was over 7 years ago, the technology might be much better now

Gel pens are great. I know what you mean about cheap paper. I used to just write fast and rewrite the notes straight after a lecture. It was time consuming but it was a way of learning for me.

I have heard good things about dragon naturally speaking too, but I've never used it.

Get a notebook for Drawing. They won't have lines but are FAB for drawing no matter what type of pen/ink/pencil you are using.
Now if you can write straight without lines you will be golden..... I can't write straight at all .

I too am a pen /paper person but I write on anything, not draw. DD draws on everything bu she hates the el cheapo paper too

I second Misschief's recommendation. I purchase them on Amazon. You can find similar notebooks that are a bit cheaper if you search for "bullet journal notebook", but I've found the quality of the Leuchtturm are worth the price.

I use National Brand Engineering and Science Notebook at work. One side is lined and the other side is graph, which makes it handy for sketching out drawings (or doodling in boring meetings). The paper is thicker than regular notebook paper, but certain types of pens (such as Precise V5 Rolling Ball pens) will bleed thru.

I like the notebooks that are sold in Barns and Nobel, they are expensive when they are not on sale.

My favorite notebooks are made with stone paper. Literally paper made out of rocks! They are a little more pricey than regular paper, but the feel is so smooth, the pages are harder to tear, and you can write on them in the rain - water has no effect. I've found a few at Target before, but not recently. I get mine from Amazon or bookstores/paper specialty places/art supply stores.

Thanks for all the recommendations! So far I ended up with Whitelines; graph style and also lined. Would like to try the dotted but couldn't find any.

The paper thickness is less than I wanted, but the with the glaring lights in lab I think I'll like the gray paper. If not - I'll move on to a premium notebook.

Latest posts

Back