Recommend a recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
Can someone suggest a recipe or provide a link...that incorporates all of these ingredients? I do have the beginner recipes as well...I just wanted to put together a recipe to work on next that incorporates these ingredients for a creamy lots of lather moisturizing bar.

Olive oil
Coconut oil
Tallow
Palm
Shea and or cocoa butter
Almond oil
Avocado oil
Castor oil
Goats milk
Honey

Is there a reason that you want to use all of those oils? Are you looking at the oil properties, or the properties of the saponified oils? I ask as some of them are very similar, so trying to squeeze all of those oils in to a recipe in a meaningful amount, while still achieving your goals.......I would use fewer oils

You are probably right. Its the qualities that I'm trying to get the most of.

These are the ingredients that I have to work with. (also lye and distilled water of course).
I am looking for a recipe for a bar that is extra creamy and lots of lather and has that luxurious feel.

What would you suggest?

Here's one to try if you really want it all, I made it up but the numbers check out reasonably on SoapCalc.

Olive oil - 20%
Coconut oil - 20%
Tallow - 10%
Palm - 10%
Shea and or cocoa butter 10% in total (all of one or in 5/5 combo)
Almond oil - 5%
Avocado oil - 20%
Castor oil - 5%
Goats milk - half of your water
Honey - 1 to 2 tsp per 500 g oils

Watch the heat on this one. I wouldn't apply an external source.

I think coming up with two or three recipes with the said oils would be a nice idea for you. Less is more in a soap recipe and I don't see the point of going over 6 oils, which is already much as that is. You can have a palm-free recipe, a tallow-free one and even a coconut oil-free recipe if you'd like. Just think about what you'd like to try first. :)

Night.

I would suggest several soaps to learn what you like, as well as learning how to make soap. But first I need to suggest you get some lard if at all possible.

First batch-

Tallow OR Palm OR Lard 45%
Olive Oil 30%
Coconut Oil 20%
Castor Oil 5%
Superfat 5%

Repeat with another choice from the tallow/palm/lard section.

Next batch-

Same recipe, but add 1 teaspoon of honey PPO (per pound of oil). This will teach you what sugars bring to the soap. I would watch this like a hawk for overheating, though. If you see oil pooling on the top of the loaf, get it into the freezer quickly.

Next batches-

Same basic recipe, only substitute in 10% of ONE of the butters for either the tallow or palm. Repeat for the other butter.

Next two batches-

Repeat with the 10% of the oils substituted in for the Olive Oil each batch.

Subsequent batches- figure out what you liked best from the first nine or ten batches, and put it all together. Then adjust your superfat up to 8%. Then try lowering your Coconut Oil to 15%. By then you should have a really firm idea of what you like or don't like.

Last edited:
SOAP ALL THE THINGS! Carabou's recipe looks good to me, but if I were you I'd probably go with Susie's approach. Have you made soap before? Some of those ingredients are a bit tricky, particularly the goat's milk. If you haven't purchased that already, I STRONGLY recommend canned or powdered!

Back