recommend a heavy duty scale?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyP

Reaction score
Good morning, all!
I have an accurate scale that I use to weigh my ingredients, but it has a 3 pound limit. I am working on a new adventure, and I am using the crockpot to cook the soap. I want to make sure that my final product is consistent from batch to batch, so it seems that it would be useful to weigh the crockpot, both with and without the soap in it. This would allow me to know how much water has cooked off. I know that the typical bathroom scale can handle the weight, but they only weigh in increments of 1/10th pound. Any suggestions for a scale that can handle the weight of the crockpot insert, but still be accurate? Thank you!

I have used various MyWeigh scales for years for soaping, cooking, and my business. I am pretty happy with them.

I have the KD 7000. It will weighs up to 7 kilograms (15+ lb). Its bigger sister the KD 8000 does 8 kg (17+ lb) for a few dollars more. Both weigh to 1 gram accuracy. I think either would be suitable for your purpose. The KD 7000 is about $38 plus shipping at https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-kd7000-black.html

The UltraShip line will weigh even more but offers slightly lower accuracy. For example, the Ultraship 35 weighs up to 16 kg (35 lb) but the accuracy ranges from 2-5 grams depending on how much weight is on the scale (better accuracy for lighter weights.)

If you let the scale turn itself off automatically, the batteries will last for years. I recently had to change batteries in one of my scales that uses the auto-shutoff. The date on the old batteries was 2013, so 4-5 years with normal use several times a day. If you want the scale to stay on (no auto-shutoff) for an extended time, then batteries won't last nearly as long and I'd think about getting the AC adapter.

I have a KD 8000 and love it. Wonder where I got the idea to buy one?

I have the adaptor so it can plug into the wall. It turns off automatically and tares and does everything you could want in a scale - measures accurately and to small gram amounts (it moves when you add tiny amounts of more oil etc unlike my old scale). It comes with covers to shield the controls and is SS so easy to clean (if you are klutzy). I am very happy with it.

As everyone else, I had a KD7000 and loved it, and now have the KD8000 - will always try and get the KD series, as I think they are the best for my purposes.

Oh thanks for askign this !
Mine is too small, not in weight but area to weigh. So i was JUST searching for this answer !

Many inexpensive scales have a very small platform (the place on which you put the things to weigh) and that limits the kinds of objects you can weigh. The KD 7000 and KD 8000 have a nice big platform that's stainless steel. A large mixing bowl will fit on the platform (I use my KD 7000 to measure ingredients for cakes and cookies as well as for soaping.) Also if you spill an EO or FO on the metal platform, it will wipe clean. (But be aware the plastic housing underneath the platform might be marked up if you spill EOs and FOs onto the plastic.)

Back