recipes without coconut oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckylinley

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a friend who is allergic to coconut oil, so I'm trying to find a good recipe without it. Any suggestions? It would also be great if it's palm-free.

Thanks for your help!

Becky

basic castile soap - 100% olive oil, but cure time will have to be quite long...

I was thinking castile too or 100% lard, both make nice soap but neither have a lot of lather. The lard bars will be much harder and don't have to cure for a year like castile does.

Use palm kernel oil instead. This was discussed just awhile ago. There might be more answers there for you to read.

Ok, so nothing from palm trees. The best way to sub one oil for another is to look at the fatty acid profile and find another oil or butter that has one as close as possible to the one you don't want to use.

My first thought was also a Castille soap, but if you'd like to add a little creamy lather you might want to add some castor oil. I make an unscented baby soap with 8% castor and 92% olive oils. It is really gentle/mild, but has a nicer lather than a bar of Castille. (But it does need a long cure - like any soap high in OO.)

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

My first thought was also a Castille soap, but if you'd like to add a little creamy lather you might want to add some castor oil. I make an unscented baby soap with 8% castor and 92% olive oils. It is really gentle/mild, but has a nicer lather than a bar of Castille. (But it does need a long cure - like any soap high in OO.)

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making
Finally revisiting this idea... How long would an 8% castor and 92% olive oil need to cure? 6 months?

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back