Recipes from Scratch??!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmeroro

Reaction score
Uh - well I have this small problem! I know just what I want to put into my CP soaps -- but how do I formulate a recipe?? I have checked out Lye Calculators and a few programs, but I really would like a way to do this and include the ingredients -- possibly knowing the type of results I will end up with... lather, moisture properties and so on. :shock:

I really, really want to make my own for my business instead of using the ones out there already -- sort of original ideas, I guess. What do you all think?

Thanks! Have a great evening. RoRo

SoapCalc

I LOVE LOVE LOVE SoapCalc! Did I tell you I love it? :lol:
Play with it, and when you get something together, post a thread and a " 8) Soap Jedi Master" will come in and help you tweak your recipe, if needed. That's what happened when I first got here.

Thanks for the insight! I guess we all have a need for original ideas in some form! I think soap is the perfect outlet! That link is by far the best I have found (many thanks!)... my question is how do you know just what measure of oils to use? I think there are specific limits on certain oils, per recipe? Not too sure about that...

:) RoRo

itsmeroro said:
Thanks for the insight! I guess we all have a need for original ideas in some form! I think soap is the perfect outlet! That link is by far the best I have found (many thanks!)... my question is how do you know just what measure of oils to use? I think there are specific limits on certain oils, per recipe? Not too sure about that...

:) RoRo

Since this post I have found a GREAT program - called Soapmaker v 2.8 located at www.SoapMaker.ca I would highly reccomend this program to anyone interested in making custom recipes! There is a free trial also at this site...

:) Cheers! RoRo

I am still not sure about the other amounts for ingredients which are dry -- I have EO at .5 to 1 oz per pound., but how and where can I see sugestions for how much to add at trace? Hmmm...

There is a really useful tool in that program - the resizer. Which I have learned how to adjust for the EO per pound. The help info on the soapmaker.ca website is full of great info. I have also just ordered my soap molds from Paul - and really excited to try them!

Yea! Cheers! roro :D

We sell a soapmaking calculator too, called SoapMaker which includes an inventory control program. I created it with my hubby after wasting a fair bit of money using recipes that didn't work. It helps at income tax time if you use the inventory feature.
Now I can test my recipes before I make the soap.

You can find it at http://www.soapmaker.ca

Woodi said:
We sell a soapmaking calculator too, called SoapMaker which includes an inventory control program. I created it with my hubby after wasting a fair bit of money using recipes that didn't work. It helps at income tax time if you use the inventory feature.
Now I can test my recipes before I make the soap.

You can find it at www.soapmaker.ca

Hey Woodi - I just purchased it last night... and have been playing all day with ideas... The question I have is what is the general rule per pound for dried flowers, natural colorants and so on? I am having a tough time with that one, but I think it will come with more time (and experience! Also, do you know if I add honey and discount water - or is that added in at trace?

Anyhow, I DO LOVE SOAPMAKER!!! Really great program!!!

:) Happy Camper! RoRo

So glad you like it Rachelle!

for colorants, I use less than 1 tsp of powder ppo (per pound of oils), and if I want solid color, I mix it with a little of the oils before trace, and mix it into the pot really well to avoid clumps. My recipe uses 6 pounds of oils, and sometimes I only use 2 Tbsp color ( 1 Tbsp=3 tsps)
But lately, my fav coloring technique (cuz I do not like the soap to color my washcloth) is to take out a cup of soap at medium trace, add in the powders which have been mixed with a little of the oils first ( I find the powders don't blend well with water); stir really well, then pour the cup of colored soap back into the pot and stir it only 3 times. Then pour into the mold for a nice swirled effect.

as for dried herbs, I usually grind them well in a coffee grinder, and if I'm using lavender buds, mix in a tsp of colored powder before adding to soap; because lavender buds turn blackish brown in soap, looking like mouse turds. But with a little color in there, they are disguised as herbs.

When I add oatmeal and/or cornmeal (for exfoliation) I use 1/2 cup of ground stuff to my 6 pounds of oils. Could add more, but this seems sufficient for my tastes. Once I added poppy seeds and found the soap painfully scrubby, but my S-I-L loved it. Different tastes.

I have added honey in at trace, and also into the lye water (it turns bright orange and smells burnt, but works ok in the soap). I don't discount the water for the added honey. I love honey in soap.
It has a tendency to cause the soap to heat up more in the mold, so I cover it less heavily then, or not at all.

If you don't cover your molds, the soap will not turn gel-like but remain opaque in color. This is ok too, but the gelled soaps seem to get harder, in time, than the un-gelled.

I also find that adding sugar or honey to soap makes the bubbles in the lather bigger.

Just my personal observations. Somebody else may tell you different things.

Back