recipe, what do you think diynatural

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clownking99

Reaction score
http://www.diynatural.com/goats-milk-soap-recipe/

This is the first recipe that i found. Id be intrested in what you think

I also want to know what this palm oil is. I think i picked up the wrong kind >< can this even be used? Does anyone use the same coconut oil ?

20150805_215441.jpg

Red palm can be used, but it will make your soap very yellow, and your colors will be off.

But if you don't mind that it is fine.

You can use red palm oil. It will give your bars an orange color naturally. You'll want to run that recipe through SoapCalc (or your favorite lye calculator). If you're new at soap making, just use water instead of milk for the first few batches until you get the process down and have some success. Get in the habit of running every recipe through a calculator... typos happen. Also, it's better/more accurate to weigh in grams instead of ounces... SoapCalc will give you both.

Check the labels on your oils. So long as they are 100% coconut and 100% red palm oil - you're good. I think Red Palm and Palm have the exact same SAP value so just put palm oil into your calculator.
I actually use a CO labeled as "Snappy Popcorn Oil" that's just Coconut Oil despite the fun name. It's nice price on Amazon, and they have an organic version when get hooked and want to make soap all the time!

From looking at the recipe it looks like a low SF... I'd change it to at least 5% in your calculator. Also, 30% CO will feel pretty drying to most folks. Change it to 20% and you'll probably like it better. Put that remaining 10% back into your olive oil. Then try a batch with that 10% in your palm to see what you think.

Don't be fooled into thinking you need some special EO that costs the earth in tiny bottles. Reputable soap suppliers sell the exact same thing as those teeny bottles for a fraction the cost.

Happy Soaping!

I read through the whole blog post and I noticed is that she recommended using vinegar when she had LYE on her body.

I have not actually had the experience, but I have read and read SEVERAL times on here that you only wash away lye on skin with water. (something to the line of acid and base have explosive reaction when in contact--best not to have it happen on your body) I just take their advice and do not look at the pictures of burns and scary stuff. :)

I usually have the a vinegar dampened paper towel on hand to wipe up an errant pieces of lye, and both sides of my sink half full of cool water.

--for the recipe, I have lower % of CO, I like very conditioning soaps and find I love a much higher superfat.

When I just recently did my milk soap--I run the recipe through soapcalc and do not account for the milk fat, but just let it bump up my superfat to an unknown number. I usually SF at 6-8% but for milk I did 5%.

I have never used red palm, but I have read threads about discoloration and the smacking of foreheads in oppsie daisy moments from ordering incorrectly. I bet if you searched you might even find a picture of it. :)

I also use the CO from Amazon. (I took SnapLlama advice here) Cheapest you can get especially if you are prime member. I figure the oil is mixing with LYE and is a wash off product. I do get nice quality CO when using it to whip butters since that is soaking into skin! :)

The recipe itself is a fairly basic one, which is ideal to start. A lot of soaps are a variation on that theme.

For the next one, I would go with lard instead of Palm so that you can compare how the two differ in a soap.

I would also use soapcalc to work out the lye rather than using her numbers - partly for safety, but also for practice.

Back