Recipe to soft for molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would the fact that I used rose water (distilled water and rose petals simmered down) as my liquid instead of plain distilled water make any negative difference in the recipe?? I did so both times I made it and you could see from my other post “crying over cracked soap” that the 1st time was overheated and cracked and now this 2nd batch did who knows what this is! 🤦‍♀️ I also make one using chamomile tea instead of plain distilled and one with brewed coffee instead of plain distilled- doesn’t affect either of the other two recipes...
I decided to change to a different companie’s rose essential oil and hoping possibly a poor quality rose oil could be to blame for the brownish color? I’m still waiting for my supplies to come, but hoping to have a improved recipe game plan with help from you all! :)
You didn't mention the rose petals in the other thread as far as I saw but I would hazard a guess that they might be involved. Most plant material will go brown after contact with lye. Although that doesn't particularly explain the pink edges.

Ah hah! I had a hunch about the "rose oil" you had mentioned. Could you post a link to the rose essential oil you purchased?

Rose essential oil is extremely expensive. Rose fragrance oils (which, in my opinion, offer wonderful rose fragrance) would be a good alternative. And they cost a fraction of rose essential oil. And not all essential oils you find online are appropriate to use in cold process soap-making. That may very well be the culprit.

I feel very hesitant to encourage you to make the soap again with the rose essential oil. I'd hate for you to spend as much as you are on soap batches you are not happy with.

Also, please post the full recipe, including all amounts of additives.

I love rose water but I personally wouldn't use it in soap, the rose aroma doesn't make it past saponification. I agree with @The_Phoenix about the "rose oil", sounds like your culprit.

Latest posts

Back